Hella Driving Light Add - Best? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Hella Driving Light Add - Best?

Posted re changing to the Hella vision plus headlamps and considering which driving lights to install.

Pros/Cons re Hella models (i.e. 500 / Blck Magic / Rallye etc . . )

and best wiring solutions? Switch to use?

I reviewed the tech re adding the indicator light in the cluster.

Wire to brights or direct or loop for both?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Larry,
I have 6 black magic 1000's on my 90 and absolutly love them. My front yard at home is like 100 yards long and 50 wide and when i come in late at night i can light up the whole yard. I don't think you will be happy with the 500's but others may beg to differ. The black magics will set you back a pretty penny. I put 6 on there at a price of $214.99 a pair, but overall was very pleased. 4-wheel parts gave me a little bit of a deal on them when i bought 2 pair at one time. I think he took like 30-40 $'s off the final price...I was looking into 4000's but the 1000's are very sleek and clean looking..ill post some pics of mine if you would like to see them on a vehicle...

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Thanks!

Yes, please post images. I was leaning toward the 1000's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I will try to post pics tonight in between calls at work...Ill see what i can do for tonight.

Follow-up Post:

Larry,
My pictures are to large to post so what i can do is let you check out my website that has pics of it on there. I don't have an editing program yet. http://community.webshots.com/user/JasonH88 I have pics of all angles on there. Hope this helps..Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jason Habbal

Follow-up Post:
The hella off road lights come with a switch with each set. I used those and they have worked fine ever since....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:57 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

What about the Hella 4000's?

It looks like ECR and many others uses them for the D's

What do most people use?

I do not want "blue" lights . I want them to have similar apearance to headlamps (I opted to use the Hella Vision conversions to avoid having to change the wiring)

Thanks to all for their time in replying . . .

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Larry it all depends on how much $ you want to spend. The 4ks are nice, heavy duty and bright, but they are very $$$. And to add more bling to them you can get the HID units and they will run you into the $$$$s, they are not blues but very white, not yellow.

I would look around here

http://www.susquehanna.com/susq

See what's in your price range, then report back with what you think you might buy. You may also want to check out

http://www.hellausa.com/

I think they have pictures showing distance of the light outputs of all their lights, and good pics of their lights. Like the Black Magics

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...lack_Magic.jsp
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Looked at the patterns

Question I have is if the Black magics are 55w and the 500's are 55w - whats the difference?

I understand the 4000's are much brighter. Is it enoguh to justify the $$$$.

I know I am anal about my wagon but just want her to look good, be functional, and avoid paying for bling that I dont need. I plan to eventually add a Brownchurch, rear work lamps etc . . .

That is if I dont give in and sell her . . . man people keep making offers at stations, parking lots etc . . .

Heck the right $$ and she'll be out the door

Of course then I'll just have to buy another wagon and start over

Anyway, just want to choose the right lights . . . no blig-bling

Thanks Chief!

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well how often will you be using them? If it was everyday, and you really needed a lot of light then I would say go with the 4ks and never look back. But if you are like me, and only use them sometimes, then I think you would be happy with the black magics or the 3ks (I have 3ks and like them).

I think the difference would be the reflectors, the size of the the units, and the designs of the reflector. I have seen the Black Magics and the do look nice.
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:27 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

FWIW - I picked up a pair of Hella 4000 cornering beams for $85 (per light) from here... http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

At the time I was looking, it was by far the best price out there. As far as beam pattern, I would definitely recommend the cornering for front bumper mount. It's a very wide beam (more practical for slow driving off-road) but still gives plenty of distance. Worth the $. My .02
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:40 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

They are 99.00 now each - choice of beam.

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....d882d994df3688

Cornering is what you suggest?

Mike, what did you pay for 3k's and what if difference in appearance?

I will look at Hella's site too.

I assume with 3k or 4k just get the OEM stalk switch and use my own wire to make harness?

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
for those of you with the 4k's and using the hella wiring harness where did you mount the switch that is including with the harness? Or did you opt for another switch?? I am thinking the hella switch might work in the empty location adjacent to the dimmer switch for the dash lights?
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:44 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

We just covered that one

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4002

Other thread

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:47 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
right.
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well my 3ks came with my 90 when I bought it.

I make my own wiring, sure the kits they sell look nice but it is easy to just buy a 100 foot spool of #12 wire and run the wire anyway you want, then get some split tube or wire wrap to protect the wires. I use crimp connectors and electrical tape but solder and shrink tube is better.
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Yep, have a great deal experience with electrical systems. Not familiar with issues on the Defenders though.

Dont the 3's and 4's come with some type of transformer or something and you route power from your highbeams and then break loop with switch?

anyone run/wire these before?

Mike . . . Ineed spell check here cant frick'n type

Old December 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The only lights that I think would come with a transformer would be the HIDs. All the other lights you would just wire through a relay.

And this is what I currently run for my great spelin.

http://www.iespell.com/
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I bought my 4ks used, but I was able to get the wiring diagrams from hella.com. That just confirmed that there was nothing out of the ordinary regarding the set-up.
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

All right, so if I go 4k, which looks good, 4000 Metal series, which beam?

Euro or Cornering?

nothing on Hellas site showing pattern ref.

Old December 1st, 2004, 04:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimos

Euro or Cornering?

What kind of driving are you doing. I don't like the pencile beams, they don't cover enough width. The euros shoot out almost as far but cover a wider area. The cornering are great for trail use or back roads.
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimos

Euro or Cornering?

Larry

All Hella Rallye 4K lamps posses a metal housing & mounting platform. The others are plastic, e.g. the Hella 3000 & 500. In my opinion the 4K's are more durable and robust of the Hella Auxiliary lamp line. I previously had two 500's on the front and it didn't take long for the seat of the lamp to warp and come loose.

As for your choice of beams I would go with the Cornering/ Pencil / Pencil / Cornering configuration if you're planning on mounting them on the roll cage. This will provide you with a wide scope of lighting to your peripheries and ahead of the vehicle. I personally have used this setup and was extremely satisfied with this arrangement.

If you're opting to install aux. lighting only on the front of your D90 then I would purchase a set of lamps that would best suit the vehicles needs, i.e. if you often drive through fog purchase the fogs, if you want to extend the capabilities of your vision at night then I'd go with the Pencil beams....etc. etc. I personally removed all four lamps from the rollcage and installed three of them on my ARB in a Cornering/ Pencil / Cornering pattern. Itís not as nice as the previous setup, but it suits my needs.

DJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, vin