Hella Driving Light Add - Best? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Hey Phil - To answer your question, I used the switch that came with the Hella wiring harness. If you look at the first pic Mike posted in that other thread, there is a round thing in the background that's out of focus. That's where my switch is. It's actually for a hand throttle, but can be used for aux light switch. I had it wired completely separate from the high beams or regular headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

DJ,

Thats sounds like a great config. I was going to just do a pair in the front.

Would the Euro's get me a close to the Pencil/Cornering blend.

Mostly trying to reach out on mountain roads in North GA in avoidance of Deer etc . . . but also want to increase a bit if on trail as some get narrow. Dont want to see if she'll fly over the treetops just yet if I went over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimos
DJ,

Thats sounds like a great config. I was going to just do a pair in the front.

Would the Euro's get me a close to the Pencil/Cornering blend.
Hmm, I believe so. The Euro looks as if it shares attributes of both Cornering & Penicil beams. I'd ask some one who has actually used them or sells them. But it appears that's your best bet.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Cornering will give you the widest field of vision and allow you to see deer approaching the road from the side before they are actually in front of you on the road. They also have plenty of distance. Throw your high beams on with the Hellas and you'll have all you need.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Sounds good

Thanks Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Jimmy has a set of cornering 3ks (I think) on his 90, and they do go far forward, I think they cover as far forward as his high beams. But they shoot out almost 90* to the side.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Recently mounted 4 Hella 4000's on the roll bar of my 1995 SW. Went with Corner Beams on the ends and Euro Beams in the middle. Used the Hella wiring harness's but did not use the big knob switch that came with the harness. Got two other switches that illuminate when the lights are powered on. The 4000's do not have a transformer unless you go with the HID 4000's. I do not use them often but boy when you need the light and hit the switch, talk about some light. They do have quite a bit of amp draw. I would go with exactly the same set up if I had to do it again and probably still really think hard about spending the extra and going HID.

Troy
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Thumbs up

Jim, you still have the wiring diagrams from hella? Planning for my order/install and trying to determine whether the hella harness is worth the $. 40 bucks seems a waste if I am going to use a LR switch.

Mike sug the OEM aux "stalk" type and I noticed that some use the old RRclassic headlamp ones too https://www.expeditionexchange.com/genuine/

Further, ECR uses a a OEM switch like the dome switch but with correct labeling . . . Where they get them? Make em? Has to be a source for the blank ones. Just a rocker.

All this being, which one "looks" the best?

Was thinking will use the aux column-stalk for the Hellas and perhaps a correctly labeled rocker for a rear work lamp then when I add a heated windscreen (damn those things are high :o) it will have a rocker as well which will finish the panel (left). Noticed you can move the dome rocker "up" to the blank just above the existing and be able to add another should the need arise.

This sound like how it would have come NAS?

Hey, thanks to all for the posts re the beams it really helped . . . will use cornering (perhaps use pencils later when I add brownchurch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I bought my 4ks used, but I was able to get the wiring diagrams from hella.com. That just confirmed that there was nothing out of the ordinary regarding the set-up.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:00 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I run their "city light" It's essentially the euro beam, but with some added flash of a small additional light that backlights the reflector whenever my parking lights are on. It's a nice look, but not for everyone. The lighting is minimal and nothing you could drive with. But makes the turck a little more visible.

Install is easy with the hella harness. I used a large, rocker switch, matching my ARB switches. The clean install of a factory switch is nice. But when you have multiple lights and lockers, it's easier to mount them to the '97's center console. Plus they are easier to reach.

I would recommend using the Aux. light switch on the right side of the column. It's much easier to reach if your using the lights at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0713x.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 25277575.HTMLimg_1567_std.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1984  

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Now those are cool!

Gotta have em' Where you get those?

Yes I think the stalk is the way I am going.

Were did you mount your lockers?

Cheers!

Follow-up Post:

I found at Susquehanna MotorSports,

Follow-up Post:

Is RN best source for the stalk - they say about 75.00 best price

Follow-up Post:

Hey David,

the city bulb is on with parking only if Hella switch is on right?

I mean if the covers were on you would have the switch off

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The genuine light switch is a tad expensive but worth it. I think any place offers just about the same pricing.

The City lights on mine are always on whenever the parking lights are on. I don't drive with the white covers on. I have clear covers, to avoid and fluff with the law. They are technically "covered", just not by the white ones.

If you want to use the white covers, I'd wire another switch for the 12v lights. It's a pain, but that's the choice you need to make. In that case, you might use a 3 position switch like the LR Genuine 110 Dome light switch. Just a suggestion.

I've yet to get any grief with the lights themselves and I've been pulled over a few times in my truck. Of course, now that I said it, it's bound to happen... The laws around here state they need to be "covered". It's open to any interpretation. I also run clear covers on my overhead lights. And still no flak.

The ARB switches are on my center console as well. It's not the best looking setup. But very functional. It's so much easier to reach the switches without looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimos
Now those are cool!

Gotta have em' Where you get those?

Yes I think the stalk is the way I am going.

Were did you mount your lockers?

Cheers!

Follow-up Post:

I found at Susquehanna MotorSports,

Follow-up Post:

Is RN best source for the stalk - they say about 75.00 best price

Follow-up Post:

Hey David,

the city bulb is on with parking only if Hella switch is on right?

I mean if the covers were on you would have the switch off

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have the diagram at home - I can email it later.

I used the Aux light stock, which I bought from RN.

I went ahead and bought the 40 dollar hella aux light harness (not the H4000 harness) from RN as well. I'm happy with it. its got the relay already wired in, and has the protective sheathing over the whole thing, so it is robust.

I also got a set of rocker switches of ebay.co.uk. I got the hazard, dash light, and heated screen switch all together for like 40 bucks. They come up, you just have to watch.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Did the hella harness have enough lentght or did you have to add any to it to complete the wiring?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think its long enough, but I havent completed the install yet. There are no fenders on the truck...

I just uploaded the diagram for the hella 4000's. Like I said, nothing surprising there. There also isnt any copyright info, so I think its totally legit as far as reproducing it here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring_sch_aux_lamps.pdf (132.0 KB, 167 views)
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

David,

So the 5watt "glow" bulbs do not switch off when the switch is off? I assumed you wired the 4000's to your highbeams with the power loop broken by the switch.

Dont think I am going to use the white covers much but certainly you can completely "kill" the power to them?

Did you use the hella harness or makeup?

If the 5 watts run directly off the parking light then I guess it would make sense having to break that loop too. But it seems the switch could just kill all 12V

If thats the case then the 3 pos dome or the RR Classic headlamp switch would have to be used unless, as you said, you just want it that way.

Know I am repeating you here but just trying to clarify that it will require the 3 pos switch or the aux stalk + another for the 5watt bulbs?

The 110 3 pos dome switch will handle the power?

I assume the RR CLassic switch is 3 pos as well? Does not spec on EE. > https://www.expeditionexchange.com/genuine/

Sorry for the hammering of questions but just trying to avoid starting to put them in and then running into "damn I need . . . " situation.

Jim, thanks for the hella diagram.

Follow-up Post:

BTW

went by 4w supply today and tried on the black 1000's and the 4000's.

The blacks are cool and match the headlamp size better.

However, the 4000's have a more pro-stock look and damn sure are made better. The adjustments dials are a nice touch too. Frick'n things are huge Got that "imma gonna eat your lunch" look.

David, your machine looks awsome coming up thru the snow with those damn things glow'n

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Larry,
I had 4000's on a defender, ran them on the factory light bar with brush bar set-up. They looked great and worked very well. There was one problem, they are to deep for the light bar, they hit the grill before you can mount them. I had to weld a plate off the light bar to extend them out further away from the grill. I ran the Euro beam and was very happy with the pattern. I think you also are running the same OEM bar, if not sorry for the rambling. I just installed the RR classic switches, I bought them from John at Expedition Exchange. They are expensive ($55), but they give a very stock look (which I have gathered from your other threads, is important to you). They are 3 way switches which allows for future set-ups. If you decide to say put lights on the roll bar you can have it so position 1 is off, position 2 is for your front aux lights and postion 3 is your front and top light (or some other set-up). The 4000's are a great strong well made and sturdy light (nothing more anoying than a bouncing 100wt light while your driving). I was very happy with the Euro beams pattern and would get them again. If you make your own wiring harness, go with a 10 guage, this way you don't have to worry about them over heating the wire and you can even throw some 130wt bulbs in there if that meets your fancy. Get the 4000's you won't be unhappy, hope this helps.

David
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Yes . . .it helps

My brush bar is already drilled (from prev lights I assume) in the tube that is in front of the inner bar (that would prob accept thinner units. i.e. 500's). Prev owner prob drilled them? for bigger lights perhaps.

Looks like I can mount there when I "tried em" today. They'll sit out more like thet look like they do on an ARB.

No doubt the ARB will eventually make onto her as well since brother has had a new Warn winch sitting in his garage in the box for about 4 years now - gotta "borrow it" Starts like that does it not . . . next thing you know you add a brownchurch, more hellas, branch cables, every imaginable recovery option and then next thing you know you have to go to a TDI conversion . . . and it goes on . . . Then when someone says "nice truck" they really do have no idea.

I do want it to look OEM inside and I like the RR classic switches esp when there 3 in a row like shown on EE .

The 3 pos 110 switch was used here. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tachmentid=662

Looks very factory too. I wanted to use the stalk switch, even though it costs a bit more, because its cool. However, the 3 pos switch would let me control the "city lights" option on the Hella 4000's with same. But hell, wiith all the $ rolling into her whats another 30 bucks. Guess I could do . . both

Old December 4th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Just curious what the "Land Rover" lights are. Do you guys know what kind of hella's they are? I heard that they were fancy hella 1000's. Sorry if im way off
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Silly me - this is better than the other diagram I posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rallye4000_instructions.pdf (373.5 KB, 152 views)
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Thats a good PDF Jim, it clearly shows how to wire the lights for those who are not the best at figuring out wiring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, vin