Defender Source Forum banner

hella city light wiring

Tags
ht wiring
5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dmarchand 
#1 ·
I have a pair of hella 4000's with city lights. How do I wire them up.? I look at the web sight and know how to wire up the lamps so they come on with the high beams (using a 3 pos switch) but I could not find how to wire the city lights. Each light has three wires coming out of them (brown, yellow, and blue). I have not taken them apart to see which is which. Any help would be appreciated. Also, has anyone put a second fuse box and relay box to control all the aux. functions (to make it a clean wiring job)? If so where did you get you boxes from?

#2 ·
Hey Brian, I put a second fuse box in my 90, I bought it at West Marine, I think they have them for around $40 or $50 they look nice and work great. I don't know what colors go to what on the lights but I think most people wire the city lights to come on with their park lights. If I was doing wiring I would up grade the headlight wiring at the same time, the stock wiring has all the current for the headlamps running through the switch. I would get 3 relays, 1 for the headlamps, one for the city lights and 1 for the normal 4ks. If you search around I have posted how to wire up Aux lights before, and other people have made suggestions that may be very helpful, try searching relay.

#3 ·
Thanks mike, I searched this subject pretty well before starting a new thread. I have already found and printed your wiring diagram for aux. lamps. I think I am goining to go with another relay box and fuse block. When you say upgrade my headlight wiring (I have read up on this as well) Are you runing the wire from your steering column switch to a relay and then going with a larger guage wire to the head lamps?

#4 ·
Yep thats the way to go! If I wasn't specific enough in anything please ask, I am morer then happy to help with Rover wiring, I know what a pain it can be at times. When I installed my extra fuse box I put it next to the battery and rad#8 wire to the fuse box and #10 from the fuses to the relays and the same to the lights. You can get the wire at West Marine, it is much more flexibal then the stuff at home depot. I'm not sure where Morrison is but I know they have a West Marine in the Denver area or you can order their stuff online.

This is the fuse box I used

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=10001&classNum=295&subdeptNum=124&storeNum=9

I would have linked it last night but I was on a slow connection.

#6 ·
Mike are you there? I have a couple questions for you about wiring. I am getting supplies together and want to do it right. #1-do you run with dual batteries, if yes, what kind of isolator do you have? Does your batteries have a control switch (operate on one or the other or both).

Now for the wiring questions...You have the aux fuse box in you battery compartment. Did you wire a silinoid from your ignition switch so that the power is off when ignition is off. If you could draw up a simple wiring diagram from your batteries to the fuse box and then on to your relays and switches it would help out. I found a nice write up in the archives about dual batteries.

thanks
brian

#7 ·
Hey Brian, Yep always here! I was thinking of doing a diagram anyway, been allot of interest in the fuse box setup lately. I'll get right on it for ya! I only run a single optima, it's all I will ever need as I plan on running a PTO winch, but if you search around I am sure you'll find a ton of info on dual bats as a few here run 2.

#9 ·
bjenk said:
The reason I ask about the dual battery set up is so I know what your power supply look like. I do not plan on running dual batteries for a while (until I get a winch)
The diagram will include from the battery to the lights and everything in between. I don't have the program I like to use at home, so I’ll draw it up at work.

#11 ·
For the city lights, I ran a seperate relay just for them that is switched on via the parking lights, regardless of whether the headlights are on. So the city lights remain on only if the parking lights are on, or when the headlights are on.

I have to agree with Mike on updating your headlights. I finally switched to the Euro Hella 7" with a complete harness and 100/80 watt bulbs. Wow, is all I have to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.