HEIGHT with Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

HEIGHT with Rack

Hi,

I have my Defender in the shop right now being repaired from an accident - so I can not measure it. I am going to have it repainted - and finally try to get it in my garage after all these years.

I will have to modify my garage door. It is right now 7'-0". I can get 7'-9" if I change the door.

I could get my door changed, before my Defender comes home.

I have a Stock 1995 Sort Top Defender. Stock Springs. Same size tires the truck came with. And the factory Hard top AND roof Rack installed.

I 'believe' I have measured my truck at all 4 corners of the roof rack at 7'-6" max. So if I can get 7'-9" I have 3" to spare.

But before I spend money to get a new garage door - can someone that has the same set up, double check for me????

THANKS,

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Go tall and get home!
Old July 29th, 2016, 11:16 PM
wolley
Andre
TD5 2004 Puma 2013

+2.4m

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Woah. 2.4 meters converts to 7.87'. I could have sworn that I measured 7'-6".

I could get 7'-9" max. Now I am starting to worry.

Anyone else with a stock set up, and factory rack?

I guess I am going to call the shop that has the truck to verify. I would hate to make a stupid, expensive, mistake.

FLAGG
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Obviously 7'6" is quite a big difference from 7'9" but just make sure you take into account worn tires, etc as new tires made a significant height difference in my tight old garage where it just barely got to begin with.
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

All good points. The tread on the tire is pretty new. I send a message to my shop to measure it. I will report back.

Thanks,

FLAGG
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I have now had the shop confirm that I am between 7'-5"-7'-6" at all 4 corners of my roof rack. My tires/ treads are almost new. I have no plans to modify springs or shocks or anything.

I can get 7'-9" clear. So I am good to go.

Now I just need to sell this idea to my wife. We have a 2 car garage in which one bay has boxes, and kids bikes, strollers, etc. It is really not THAT much, but we are used to being able to just throw stuff there. I have not made good use of the side walls of my garage. I think I can easily get everything off the floor.

I do not drive the Defender every day. The Defender is short - so I can park it deep, keep it on a trickle charger, and have room behind it for a few bikes and strollers. I could easily move these when I wanted to drive the Truck.

It would make taking care of the truck SO MUCH EASIER. I could insure it properly. I could preserve my new paint job and stop the overall deterioration that weather causes.

This is total common sense, right everyone? So wish me luck, that my wife agrees

FLAGG
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If the wife says yes, I approve!
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:54 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
It is often easier to ask for forgiveness then permission. If it was me she would come home to a clean organized garage with a Defender parked in it. Maybe a bottle of wine too
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I like it! That would be the way to go, if I could change the garage door in a day. I think it will take a couple, between reframing the opening, and having the door installed in the next day or too. If I time everything right, I can make this very painless

I will let you know if I am really going to do this!

FLAGG
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:48 PM
Dee9tee
Steve Anderson
1997/D90

Do yourself a favor and pile the "little used" boxes up in front of the Defender and leave it's exit path clear... no excuses for not taking it out for a quick run!! I've been surprised at how often "digging it out" has put a damper on my own enthusiasm. On a related note, I have 5 kids and created this storage wall to keep the special car isolated but easy to get out when the opportunity presented itself - a good thing Also good to keep small "kid" things off the floor. Easy to build and worth the effort.

Enjoy having it back under your own roof!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncovered.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	155140  
Old August 5th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Steve,

Great comments that I will take to heart. You are right - I definitely do not want too many things to get put behind it, or it would be pain to drive, every time.

I love your storage wall. So is that wall on wheels, so that you can easily move the wall when you want to open the drivers door and drive your car. What a great idea.

And what a beautiful car!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice!

FLAGG
Old August 5th, 2016, 03:09 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Flagg, send the wife on two day anniversary/or "I just love you" spa trip. She gets that and when she gets home she can enjoy what you got, a 7'9" garage door. Results may vary. (Disclaimer: never been married...there might be a reason for that)
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

My wife (reluctantly) agreed that we can modify the Garage door, and get the Defender in the Garage. I have a couple months, before my Defender is back home.

I need to get the ball rolling before she changes her mind. I think I can do a great job. Time to start organizing

****QUESTION:
Can anyone go and measure their truck, and give me the overall width (with and without mirrors). I have 70.5" written down in my files - but don't know if that is with the mirrors?

THANKS!

FLAGG

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ht, rack