HEI Distributor Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

HEI Distributor Replacement

Can't you just drop in Proform HEI Distributor $189.95 67088 from Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pr...ges/make/buick), hook the three wires up and be on your way (maybe a gear swap)? No more separate/remote coil?

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Nope, I tried to install an HEI from DUI a few years ago but it physically will not fit. It drops into the hole without a problem but I believe it fouled on the corner of the intake. It's been a few years but I think that was the problem.
Mike
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Mtanzania
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(

I've had good luck with pertronix distributors and coils. Fairly inexpensive and easy to install. Still a separate coil though...i purchased them here
http://ponderosamustang.com/index.ph...products_id=76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Seems like every thread about an aftermarket distributor is chocked full of problems. Id love to put a stronger spark on my Classic, just doesn't seem worth the trouble.
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:51 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by d110pickup View Post
Nope, I tried to install an HEI from DUI a few years ago but it physically will not fit. It drops into the hole without a problem but I believe it fouled on the corner of the intake. It's been a few years but I think that was the problem.
Mike
Even though this is not a DUI (as far as I can tell), but a Proform, from the picture I was concern about the clearance of the vacuum advance. I guess the only way to tell is to purchase one and see if it fits. I'll report back if and when I do. But for now I will purchase some wires and wear out my new cap.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Seems like every thread about an aftermarket distributor is chocked full of problems. Id love to put a stronger spark on my Classic, just doesn't seem worth the trouble.
You could always bin the dizzy completely & convert to Ford EDIS.... then you get real big sparks and it'll run in deep water too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03912.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	63507  
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:01 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post

I installed a Mallory Unilite after the HEI wouldn't fit. It's been trouble free for many years. I would definitely recommend it.
There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago where the poster was having a problem with the Mallory unit and I'm pretty sure it was an install issue and not a product issue.

The Mallory wiring is pretty easy.

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, distributor