hei distributor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2006, 09:28 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

hei distributor

Hey everyone, I'd like to replace my dizzy with an hei version. I know dui makes one for the rover v8- but it's not worth $700 to me. I've been looking at the models for the buick 215 and derivitives. Proform, accel etc. Anyone else have any knowledge to share? I'm running a 4.6 in a 95 defender if it helps.
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Both Mallory and MSD make good units. I run the Mallory and have for about 2 years and like it.
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Where did you get yours? Remember how much? So all you had to do was run an ignition wire and a ground correct? Are you running the msd or the mallory?
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
-Oh and did you chip your 4.6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

A true GM HEI system is actually a tough fit with the fuel injected manifold. A few people have had clearance issues that required grinding of the manifold. However, I do believe that you can use the HEI module with the Lucas distributor, as they use the same type of sensor.

Mallory and MSD are much smaller, and wouldn't have the same clearance problem.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The Mallory electronic is a nice part and I have used them with good results. It is available through Summit under the Buick 215 listing. Fits better than stock. Order it with the required ballast resistor.

Use a stock type coil. Any of the fancy ones take to much power away from the signal to the EFI and you will get poor running and probably trigger the CEL etc. You can cure this with a tachometer drive to run the EFI signal, but between the tach drive and the fancy coil you're just spending money for overkill as a standard type coil produces plenty of spark.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

truck misfires and pops under load

Hi, thanks for the info. I had bought and am currently running an msd ready to run unit with an msd blaster coil. I'm not running a ballast and it runs like shit. It hesitates and pops only when driving- not while sitting. I had bought the distributor from ebay and noticed a wobble so I planned on replacing it with a better hei unit. I may have to try the ballast resitor before spending any more money. So the point of the ballast is create resistance to share the spark with the ecu?
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The ballast resistor protects the distributors electronics from damage. The low resitance MSD coil is more likely the problem. Try a stock one and see if the problem goes away. Or like I said earlier, get an electronic tach drive to run the ECU with.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old June 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There are a few reasons for the ballast resistor actually, and it all varies by distibutor. Many older units, and I think ALL of the old point distributors, actually run on 6 volts instead of 12. So the resistor is in there to get the voltage coming into the ignition system down into the proper voltage range.

For an aftermarket unit, I'd definitely defer to the instruction manual for wiring requirements.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yes Hans you're quite right, the ballast resistor does protect the distributor from damage caused by running 12v through it. I thought we were talking about an electronic system ( I was refering to the Mallory and MSD in particular, which simply state in the wiring diagrams provided that the distributors electronics can be damaged if used without a ballast resistor) and didn't feel the need to digress on the full range of uses for ballast resistance. ( double flickoff...hehehe)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor