Heavy Duty Factory Bumper - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may try to have one fabbed locally.
Think this could be your best bet. In researching bumpers for myself I've been surprised there aren't more options for stock-looking bumpers out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Think this could be your best bet. In researching bumpers for myself I've been surprised there aren't more options for stock-looking bumpers out there.
I think that's because generally anyone who's wants an aftermarket bumper isn't bothered about them looking stock... when I lived back in the UK it was the first thing that a new LR owner would want to get rid off.... having them look & stay 'stock' seems to be a NA trend...

I just can't see the fettish for a stock LR.... there made to be modified....

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:35 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Ike still makes bumpers , he gave me a ring last week while taking a break from fabrication on them . Landy_Andy I couldn't agree more :-)
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2014, 04:27 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I dont really understand the point of the 'nerf' A bar. I think the stock flimsy bumper will survive better than the foam padding will. if you are in a place to need a winch, both peices would be more of a liability. -Jeff
Think lipstick on a pig...
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Think lipstick on a pig...

At the risk of sounding crass, are we sure you even need a heavy-duty bumper on this thing ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

I think the D44 H/D bumper is prob a good fit for keeping a stock'ish looking front end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D44 HD Bumper.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	90709  
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:22 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
At the risk of sounding crass, are we sure you even need a heavy-duty bumper on this thing ?
How crass of you.

I honestly didn't expect the factory bumper to be this flimsy. I doubt it can stand up to sapling or a boot.

And trying to figure out how to get all the below and not look like a gypsy camp was hurting my head:

2" Receiver
2x Recovery Points
Poly A Bar
End Caps

Its not going to be a crawler, but that factory bumper doesn't do anyone justice.

------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2014 08:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
I think the D44 H/D bumper is prob a good fit for keeping a stock'ish looking front end.
Looks good, who makes that?
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:53 AM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Here's an idea that I modeled in Inventor really quickly(bumper dimensions are pretty close to true dimensions but the A bar I drew just by eye so it may look a little off). What about having a hitch similar to the military bumper style pintle? With the way I modeled it you could even have a cover plate for it so that the receiver is hidden when not in use. Using mainly 1/4" steel throughout just for time and simplicity's sake and not adding any internal bracing it weighs about 60lbs.

I don't think it looks too gypsy-ish. Let me know if you want any other views/angles or want to tweak the design at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BUMPER.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	90730  
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Latter factory bumpers are trash, like most parts, early ones were thicker. If you lean a later one against the wall and it fell over there is a high probability its own weight would bend it just falling over. IMO attempting to dress one up with a poly A bar and plastic end caps is akin to putting big tacky jewelry on a trailer park girl.....but hey if thats what you are into.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post
Here's an idea that I modeled in Inventor really quickly(bumper dimensions are pretty close to true dimensions but the A bar I drew just by eye so it may look a little off). What about having a hitch similar to the military bumper style pintle? With the way I modeled it you could even have a cover plate for it so that the receiver is hidden when not in use. Using mainly 1/4" steel throughout just for time and simplicity's sake and not adding any internal bracing it weighs about 60lbs. I don't think it looks too gypsy-ish. Let me know if you want any other views/angles or want to tweak the design at all.
Wow, thanks! Very close to what i was thinking. A few tweaks if you could:

2 Hella 4000 full size lights hanging from under the top bar of the poly a bar.

Enclose the area around the receiver. (how does the MoD style attach the receiver to the bumper/frame in your mockup?). I would rather have a LR receiver plug than a large plate over a large opening.

Add two galvy shackles to the mounts.

Bonus points for adding a steering protector (aftermarket type with holes)

Thanks!

------ Follow up post added March 5th, 2014 08:16 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Latter factory bumpers are trash, like most parts, early ones were thicker. If you lean a later one against the wall and it fell over there is a high probability its own weight would bend it just falling over. IMO attempting to dress one up with a poly A bar and plastic end caps is akin to putting big tacky jewelry on a trailer park girl.....but hey if thats what you are into.
From the interest, or disdain, in this thread, I think many others are interested in a stock looking heavy duty factory bumper that is readily available.
Old March 5th, 2014, 01:14 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

The receiver would be integrated into the bumper so it would be welded in place. I went with the MoD style large hole for the ease of working with the receiver pin. I figured it would be easier working from the front than behind the bumper, especially if there is a steering guard. Having the pin vertical is also an option but it seems like most of the stuff is set up for a horizontal pin so you may have to modify what you will use with it.

I'll do some more work on it when I get home.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

From the interest, or disdain, in this thread, I think many others are interested in a stock looking heavy duty factory bumper that is readily available.
an attempt @ humor.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 5th, 2014, 02:47 PM
skygrip
Claude
110 CSW 1991

Registry
It May be Help you find out real dimmention...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clip_image002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	90763  
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
VictorA
Victor Atkins
'94 D90 SOLD

The new style Mantec winch bumper looks about as stock as it gets... Not sure as to the quality of the part though

Name:	image-2351886515.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	90764

http://www.mantec.co.uk/productdetai...B0FD0F12999FB#
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2014 08:23 PM ------

Looks good, who makes that?
Devon 4x4 in the UK.... Lucky 8 used to import their stuff but I believe D44 stopped exporting to NA due to their lawyers warning them off.... something about the US customers always sueing people.... :
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:28 AM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Here you go, bonus points and all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Assembly2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	90800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembly1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	90801  

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:43 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Perfect! There may be some incompatibility here like you pointed out such as access to the hitch pin hole. I think that any use of the pull points not directly pointed at 12 o'clock may cause contact with the a frame as well. Thanks for your ninja graphics skills!
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:01 AM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

What's the width of the A bar where it is in front of the bumper and how far does it stick out from the bumper? If I can get those measurements then I should be able to see at what angle it it would make contact if at all.

You could also just use the other recovery point. For example if you're using the right point and pulling towards the right but there may be clearance issues, why not use the left point? The pull would still be towards the right but it away from the a bar and towards the middle of the bumper.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:42 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I would tell you but I'm on week 5 or so waiting for Craddocks and Vendor to get it to me.

You could do an opposite attachment but Id be worried about the additional drag/weight/balance on certain pulls.

No matter. Ill get dimensions for the multi mount hitch, and once the a frame arrives, try to get a local yodel to fab one up. I appreciate your help with visuals.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:55 AM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Be sure to post it up when you do as I might be interesed in a similar set up but for a Snatch bar instead of an A bar.

If you want any technical/dimensional drawings for you to give to your fabricator then just let me know. Could even do stress analysis to see how it would react to different pulls.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions