heather electrical help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

heather electrical help

hello all-

I'm trying to get my heater working before it gets really cold...

When it died & I stopped using it last spring it sounded as if the blower motor was crapping out (lots of squealing, very little air pressure, no heat). I'm trying to get it to work *at all* and no luck. There is no voltage at the low speed resistor/blower motor and no voltage on the switch in the dash either. All my fuses appear to be good. Where should I look next? According to the wiring diagram I have there isn't much else involved....

The "slow death" nature of what happened made me think it was the blower but I have a new blower and it ain't that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Who's Heather?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Who's Heather?
Your mom.

Couldn't resist.

Those dash switches do go bad. You can apply 12v to directly to the fan and it blows? Is your new blower installed and squeaking etc? I'm a little lost on the chain of events.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Your mom.

Couldn't resist.

Those dash switches do go bad. You can apply 12v to directly to the fan and it blows? Is your new blower installed and squeaking etc? I'm a little lost on the chain of events.
As is he-

Don't skip from A to B so quickly Noah.

Jim do you have an older sister?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

I did jump pretty quickly to assuming it was a bad blower but if you had heard it dying you would have too. It would squeal, randomly jump around in how much air it was blowing, not work at all most of the time. And this all got gradually worse. The new blower is just sitting on the sidelines at this point. Nothing is installed or back together; the whole deal is ripped apart.

Applying 12v directly to the old fan (w/o the low speed resistor hooked up) produces nothing. But then in addition and I can't get 12v at the dash switch either (pulling the plug off the lever tab and testing on that). Where does the hot lead come from?

Follow-up Post:

And HI JIM!!!!!

sorry I missed you out west this year. Somehow I've been tricked into farming and working seven day weeks. I haven't even driven the rover once all summer.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I have a D90 style heater/blower in my 110. When I wired it up, I recall that the hot lead went to the blower. The switch for the two speeds basically connects the circuit to ground. So if you have a bad connection in the blower, you won't see 12V at the switch. I would disconnect the connector at the blower, and check for power there. If it's the same color coding as mine, 12V should be on the purple/green wire.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
As is he-

Don't skip from A to B so quickly Noah.

Jim do you have an older sister?

ROFLMAO If so whats her name...
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
I have a D90 style heater/blower in my 110. When I wired it up, I recall that the hot lead went to the blower. The switch for the two speeds basically connects the circuit to ground. So if you have a bad connection in the blower, you won't see 12V at the switch. I would disconnect the connector at the blower, and check for power there. If it's the same color coding as mine, 12V should be on the purple/green wire.
Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

It was both a wonky fuse that lit up the tester though was not actually making a good connection and a bad blower motor. I have heat again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical