Heater vent control question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Heater vent control question

Can someone tell me where the mechanism that switches the airflow from the lower vents to the defroster is? Is it in the box or in the dash plenum somewhere? I hove no idea how they have my heater controls hooked up. When you work the control lever it moves something but the airflow wont change, I think maybe they have the cables switched around. Also can anyone tell me where the best place to pick up a new heater box assembly? I found one a rovers down south for 440 and that seems to be the cheapest so far. I am going to pull my box and try to refurbish it but it may be cheaper to just get a whole new one after looking at the cost of the resistor, blower and the heater matrix.

Thanks, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

There are 2 flaps inside the dash. They are controlled by one cable and are linked together by a rod. If you pull your dash pod, you will see a black cable going into a little hole by the top square plate that covers your dash area. What is screwy is that there is a flat piece of metal that acts as a spring to keep the vents closed, meaning the default is your defroster is on. If that metal falls off or breaks over time than it won't shut the air flowing to the defrosters off and you just end up getting air coming through both the top and the bottom. You can remove your lower plastic vent director and then move your cable up and down and see if the flap is shutting all the way or not. The other side of this cable is hooked into your control, the one that has an arrow up or down. You may just need to adjust the cable if it is not fully opening or closing the flap.

Why do you think you need a new heater? Is the blower motor out? Are you getting a coolant leak? Is it just not toasty by your feet but is by the defroster (cable problem)? Also you have 2 cables going to the heater box - which control hot, cold air into the vehicle. You blower motor switch is on the other side for 2 speeds.
need mo info
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:13 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The blower is out, I'm not sure about the resistor, the control arms barely move( I had to use vice grips to get them to turn ) The air that comes out of the vents when your driving is just not that warm. I am thinking the matrix may be plugged up, unless that is just how the heater works. It seems like it should be warmer. The box is just beat to crap. I am going to take it off and try to fix it up but if I have to replace more than one component it will be pricey. It may be easyer to just get a whole new set up since everything seems to be seized up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
The blower is out,
You mean not working? Did you try to see if you getting power to it just using a testlight? Did you check the fuse. If you are getting power, take the vent cover off and reach your hand down to the fan and see if you can spin in. That way you know that the motor may or may not be seized.
Sometimes getting the motor just to start spinning is good thing.

I'm not sure about the resistor
Neither am I as I don't know wher that is.

, the control arms barely move( I had to use vice grips to get them to turn )
Which control arms? My control levers are hard to move just because I need to adjust the the cable to the box to open and close the internal heater flap.
The other cable goes to the valve to let in hot water to the heater core.

The air that comes out of the vents when your driving is just not that warm.
It may be that either the cable opening up the valve for coolant into the heater core is not set correctly or the cable which opens up the heater flap door is not adjusted correctly.

I am thinking the matrix may be plugged up, unless that is just how the heater works.
You can get your heater core looked at and cleaned I think...just like a radiator.

It seems like it should be warmer. The box is just beat to crap.
As long as the box is holding up, I would worry about the box

I am going to take it off and try to fix it up but if I have to replace more than one component it will be pricey. It may be easyer to just get a whole new set up since everything seems to be seized up
If the motor is shot, I think you can pick up one cheap either through George or order one from ebay UK. (just make sure you get the right part number).

Take it in steps by doing one thing at a time.
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

yeah thats the plan but what makes me nervous is the mechanics of the box

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater