Heater Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

Heater Removal

I'm going to have to remove my heater to replace the core. I have read numerous posts, and an article in the FAQ section about removal. I just had a few remaining questions:

1- Does all the duct work from the wingtop vent come out with the heater box or does the duct work just detach from the side of the box once things are unbolted from the bulkhead?

2- Does anyone know the size of the heater hoses? I'm trying to figure a way to loop things back around so I can drive the truck while the heater box is out.

3- Has anyone removed the box without removing the bonnet?

4- I see that Rovers North has heater cores from ~$122 and someone said that the genuine part is the only way to go, anyone no of other sources? I haven't called George yet.

Any other bits of wisdom on the subject are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

1, no need to take out the ducting
2, 20mm 3/4"
3, bonnet needs to be removed, 10min job
4, http://replacement.autopartswarehous...0Core&dp=false

no shipping or tax, genuine rover, i got one last week. situated in NJ, was with me within 20hrs

WOW just looked at the price, last week they were $120, best call them first

george sold out two weeks ago

Ha, heres the one i got
http://replacement.autopartswarehous...0Core&dp=false

same site same company

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Unfortunately I can't link to it b/c SR has a goofy website (also doesn't allow you to open links in a new tab or window), but does anyone have any experience with the Scorpion Racing "high output heater matrix"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2007, 11:01 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Hmm...I have a D90 heater box in my 110, and it uses 5/8" hoses.

Also, having just removed the heater wing duct (extremely easy to do), seems to me like it be easier to just remove it so you have better access to removing the heater box.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
Hmm...I have a D90 heater box in my 110, and it uses 5/8" hoses.

Also, having just removed the heater wing duct (extremely easy to do), seems to me like it be easier to just remove it so you have better access to removing the heater box.
How do you remove it? I took a brief look at it and I am not sure how to get rid of it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:20 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I didn't mean to remove it permanently (if that's what you're asking), but just to take it out so you can remove the heater box easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070411_heater_duct.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	8966  
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
How do you remove it? I took a brief look at it and I am not sure how to get rid of it.
Bucky, the only things holding it on are the screws through the wingtop grill.

As soon as my box of goodies arrive from George, I am replacing the heater fan motors on two vehicles (one's a "rattler" and the other is a "squeeler"). As I was removing a heater box, I noticed the resistor mounted to the squirrel cage of the fan. I can only imagine this is some sick Lucas joke. Could the resistor possibly be there to shut the fan motor down when it starts blowing air that is too hot? You gotta be kidding me.

I plan on widening the opening in the bulkhead where the heater box mounts in hopes of getting more air flow through there. Are there any other improvements to our heater boxes that anyone is planning while they have them out?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater