Heater no worky - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can just pull out the fuse and see if the wire inside is broken. Buy one of these and keep it in the truck. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...wwL&ref=plSrch The yellow thing both allows you to test the fuses in place and the other end is a puller making it easier to get out.

This one has 7.5 amp fuses which the other one does not. Not sure of the brand though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...kWL&ref=plSrch
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, that is the plug to the motor. Put power across it and see if it spins. Best to look at a wiring diagram to know what wire is what. Looking that other side of the plug, the purple wire is +12V with ignition on and the green wire is grounded when the heater switch is on.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2016, 01:11 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You can just pull out the fuse and see if the wire inside is broken. Buy one of these and keep it in the truck. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...wwL&ref=plSrch The yellow thing both allows you to test the fuses in place and the other end is a puller making it easier to get out.

This one has 7.5 amp fuses which the other one does not. Not sure of the brand though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...kWL&ref=plSrch
Thank you. Purchased. I noticed that numbers on the fuses don't match the numbers on the cover in quite a few cases. For example, the cover might show that it should have a 15 but the fuse that is installed is a 7.5 or a 20. That can't be good, right?

------ Follow up post added October 15th, 2016 10:13 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes, that is the plug to the motor. Put power across it and see if it spins. Best to look at a wiring diagram to know what wire is what. Looking that other side of the plug, the purple wire is +12V with ignition on and the green wire is grounded when the heater switch is on.
Ok, good to know. I will stick the new volt meter in there later today.

What do you mean by "Put power across it"? How do i do that?
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Not sure about the mismatched fuses. There is one that was supposed to be updated from a 7.5 to a 10 but I forget what it was. A 10 in a 7.5 is probably ok. A 20 is not. A smaller amp fuse may blow, a higher amp one can cause issues. Are you sure you are reading the panel cover correctly? My guess is someone put in whatever they had when it blew, but you should put in what is on the cover.
Old October 16th, 2016, 01:37 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Ok, I received my volt meter and tried it out. I got a 12v reading from the top left fuse (overhead light) so I know i was doing it correctly. I did not get any reading from the top or bottom fuse 4th from the left in the above photo which the diagram is showing as the fan fuse. I also tried the voltmeter at the plug to the motor and did not get any reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions