Heater in the D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 12th, 2005, 11:23 PM
mtnmama
Becky

Heater in the D-90

I just purchased a D-90 and drove it 600 miles home. When it turned night the cold air coming in thru the front vents that i had closed still poured in thru all the gaps and dash. The heat came out better at the defrost but not into the car and a little by me feet. I was frozen by the time I got home. What can I do during the winter to block all the air that comes in thru the front dash.
Plus how can I make the heater pour really hot heat?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Becky,

Are ya sure the vents were closed? Mine can be a real Pain in the Ass to get closed all the way as the hinge is old and rusted, but if they are you may need to replace the gasket/seal around the vents. It's not to hard check out the writeup by Dave Souza http://www.defendersource.com/mod/vent_seal/index.html

As far as the heat, it should come out very hot and at a good enough rate to make it nice and toasty in the cab with the current outside temps. Was the air hot, like if you put you hand over the vent did you have to pull your hand away after a few seconds? When you switched on the blower it should have 3 settings, off, on low, and then on high. did yours go through all 3 settings?
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:55 PM
mtnmama
Becky

I am going to check your idea on the vents being totatlly closed, because yes they were very hard to move up and down and had a lot of air still coming thru. Thanks for your advice I am going to check the seals and the gaskets. The air never got real hot it was pretty damn cold out last night and it was more like warm air not hot coming thru. Thanks again for the quick reply, 4 people stopped me already freakin out how cool the d -90 is!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

also check your temp gauge, it should be at about 1/2, if it is and the air comming out is still not hot the heater matrix may be clogged if the heater cntrol is set in the hot position.
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:09 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Also, your heat adjustment cables may need to be adjusted to change the temp and adjust the heat or defroster. When I installed my new dash and new heater box, I trimmed the bulkhead to match the output hole of the heater unit. It blows a lot of volume now. I saw this trick on the ECR site at one time.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You can also use a radiator muffler--I got mine from rovers north and it works very well by restricting the airflow over the radiator making the coolant heat up faster.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1) Adjust all cables.

2) Check on the lower vents that the foam has not come off the doors and is blocking the outlets (common).

3) Check that the defrost hoses have not come loose.

4) Remove or modify the lower vent deflectors to be less restrictive. They are too small stock.
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Rover- Girl

Hi girl, and welcome to this site and the wonderfull expirience
of d-90 ownership .
I have the same proplem in my d-90, blowes only luke warm air
and by the time you get home, you can't feel your feet.
This was never a big issue for me though, since it doesn't stay cold for
long here in Florida.
You will find lots of ideas and help here.
Good luck w/your new "Baby" and again, welcome
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:36 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

First off Welcome to the Club.
When you get a good rubbernecker/idiot story post it in the Misc. section - it won't be long.

This winter one of the most important things you can do is try to fill all the cracks your 90 has. Is it a hardtop (fiberglass or aluminum), soft top (original, aftermarket, Badger), no top?
Art Vigil sells a drop curtain so you'll only have to heat half of your truck this winter and I've learned to embrace duct tape!

Also, do a search 'cause there's another thread on this topic right now and you can get old pointers too.
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Here is how I opened up the vent deflectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ventcutout.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	3824   Click image for larger version

Name:	ventinside.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	3825  

Old September 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

When you are adjusting the cables, lubricate the shaft for the damper flap. This shaft is the top of the heater box, squirt some PB'laster in there and work the damper back and forth by hand (with the cable released from the clip). This will make it easier for the cable to move the damper. I have saved many heater boxes that were deemed trash by others.

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Old September 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM
EdF
Ed Freeman
2000 90 TD5

How to improve a poor heater is a common question on UK forums. I live in northern Scotland and in some 90's I've had the heater is okay if the fan is on full all the time, but the fan noise is annoying. Once saw a forum article about a guy who had added a second matrix to the heater housing.. I have found that a partition made of ply with a perspex window sitting on the bulkhead behind the seats is a cheap solution. Even on new 90's the heater is the same. Should have been redesigned years back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, heater