Heater in 1984 Defender Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Karl Hungus
Buck Rogers
1984 Defender 110 with 200 TDi

Registry
Heater in 1984 Defender Question

Hello All:

I did not see an answer to my question after trying a search, so I will throw this out here.

I just picked up my new-to-me 1984 Defender 110 from the East Coast Warehouse yesterday and drove it back home to Upstate NY during the storm. It is really awesome and ran great but I could not get the heater to work. Made for a REALLY cold ride!

It is a RHD and I had the lever on the right hand side of the dash down in the "red" zone area and the fan was working on either the "1" or the "2" setting but it was only blowing cold air, even after being full warmed up.

I am not a super mechanic but I was wondering if I was missing something or do I need to think about replacing the heater. I have never owned a LR before and only drove them while in Iraq.

Could it be as simple as I missed a button to turn the heater on?

Thanks!
Buck

Forgot to mention that it has had a 200 TDi conversion as that might be important as well.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:45 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
It could be that the cable has snapped that operates the mixer door on top of the heater box. If you look on top you will see a lever with a control cable. On left hand drive the lever goes to the right on full hot. If you move the lever in the cab, is that lever on the box moving? If not, that's your problem and you need a new cable.

If it is moving, and you still have no heat, then there are 2 possibilities... first is that the mixer door broke inside the heater box, the other is that you are not getting coolant into the heater. Make sure that the two coolant hoses coming out of the heater are connected, and that they feel warm when you are up to running temp on the engine.
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
since your truck was converted make sure the coolant lines attach to the heater. I have seen some horrific conversions done to include bypassing the heater core. Defenders don't have a heater valve like most cars so coolant is supposed to circulate through year round. Depending on how your truck was used/mainatined the core my be plugged.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Karl Hungus
Buck Rogers

Registry
Thanks both of you!

I just checked and the two heater hoses are well attached. It was not running so I could not check if they were hot or not. I am about to go for a XC ski and I will take the Defender to the trail head and check it when I arrive to see if they are hot.

The cable is attached but does not move super well. I used a bit of WD-40 to loosen it up and left it in the "open" position so I will see if it happens to blow warm air on this trip.

Thanks a ton for the help!
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Thanks both of you!

I just checked and the two heater hoses are well attached. It was not running so I could not check if they were hot or not. I am about to go for a XC ski and I will take the Defender to the trail head and check it when I arrive to see if they are hot.

The cable is attached but does not move super well. I used a bit of WD-40 to loosen it up and left it in the "open" position so I will see if it happens to blow warm air on this trip.

Thanks a ton for the help!
Is your blower motor on when you put the fan switch down? (you should hear/feel it kick on). If not that could be part of your issue.

Also, the other lever (as referenced above) the cable runs to your heater core. Make sure that this "cable" actually moves what it's connected to inside the engine compartment at the heater core.

Two separate issues/things to check above as well.

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2013 04:50 PM ------

Edit: just noticed you said the blower does kick on, so check where the cable terminates at the core, and that it's not plugged as Doug said.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Karl Hungus
Buck Rogers

Registry
So the blower definitely works and the cable moves on the outside of the heater box (cannot tell if it is actually moving anything inside the box). The hoses were warm but not hot to the touch when I felt them after I arrived at the trail head. But it was only a few miles so I guess I need to go for a longer trip to let the engine really warm up.

Guess that I cannot really tell until I run it for 30 plus minutes to see.

Once again all, thanks for the help and advice.

Side question: Where can I find a manual for my '84 110? Not the engine obviously as it has been converted from the V8 and my Dad is a diesel mechanic and has all the diesel engine manuals, but an '84 overall Defender manual? i looked on-line and could not seem to find one. Surprised by that.

Thanks,
Buck
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send you everything I have (which is quite a bit).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Is the engine heating up to normal operating temperature?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

You say it's converted from a V8 to diesel. It's important that the temp gauge & sender match. When I converted the 4.0 to the 300tdi, I had to get a sender for the 300tdi to match my V8 gauge.

Also, diesels inherently run cold. I'd replace the thermostat with a new one & block off the radiator with something in the winter (make sure the gauge is working properly 1st... verify with an IR gun aimed at the T-stat housing). My IR gun shows about 180*F with my V8 temp gauge pointed just slightly less than straight up. The factory T-stat is 192*F.
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Karl Hungus
Buck Rogers

Registry
Dennis and Red90, both good questions that I do not yet know the answers to.

The conversion was done in England a while ago and there is a sticker that says "WT: Watson and Turner Diesel Conversions" on it. No idea if they are a reputable company or just a couple of drunk guys in a shed.

The temp gauge never made it above about 10% of the gauge, even on the two hour trip up from the NJ warehouse. Probably not working.

But the thing is that I would imagine that the engine must have been heated up well on that trip. I-95 and I-87 for nearly 80 miles at an average speed of 55 mph (the storm was slowing traffic pretty badly).

Once again, I am not a mechanic. I am headed up to VT for a weekend in two weeks and will run it by my Dad who is a diesel mechanic and see what he thinks as well. Just hoping to have some heat for the trip!

Thanks again for the help.
Buck
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Dennis and Red90, both good questions that I do not yet know the answers to.

The conversion was done in England a while ago and there is a sticker that says "WT: Watson and Turner Diesel Conversions" on it. No idea if they are a reputable company or just a couple of drunk guys in a shed.

The temp gauge never made it above about 10% of the gauge, even on the two hour trip up from the NJ warehouse. Probably not working.

But the thing is that I would imagine that the engine must have been heated up well on that trip. I-95 and I-87 for nearly 80 miles at an average speed of 55 mph (the storm was slowing traffic pretty badly).

Once again, I am not a mechanic. I am headed up to VT for a weekend in two weeks and will run it by my Dad who is a diesel mechanic and see what he thinks as well. Just hoping to have some heat for the trip!

Thanks again for the help.
Buck
Sounds like its over cooling somewhat ... I'd check the thermostat.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Throw in a new thermostat and see what happens. They have a high failure rate. Muffs are bandaids and not needed. I run at -40 and my truck is toasty warm.

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If it is a 200tdi the thermostat is the same as late model ford v8s.

Old February 11th, 2013, 12:07 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I have an 84 with the 300tdi conversion. Get used to the cold... I'm looking to get one of the espar cab heaters. Your heater is probably working to its full potential, its just that its potential sucks.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:04 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
My 300Tdi keeps me quite toasty, so I don't think it's an engine issue.
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
I have an 84 with the 300tdi conversion. Get used to the cold... I'm looking to get one of the espar cab heaters. Your heater is probably working to its full potential, its just that its potential sucks.
That's weird. My 300TDi Defender's heater got plenty warm. Something doesn't sound right. I'd say the cable adjustment is most likely, mine got stuck a few times. Once I took it apart and greased it all was well.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
My 300Tdi keeps me quite toasty, so I don't think it's an engine issue.
dang... I guess I got the one that doesn't work, mine keeps me warm in the summer and cool in the winter, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1984, defender, heater