Heater fan upgrade in the NAS D-90???? - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
If you think you can get a quick response from him, go for it! I don't think anybody on this forum is following any other thread right now! lol
Shot him an email.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
"Dude in Canada" here.

Just measured up the cage on the motor I got from Jason and it shows 5 3/8 inches across and 2 1/2 inches high. Hope that helps.

Brett
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
"Dude in Canada" here.

Just measured up the cage on the motor I got from Jason and it shows 5 3/8 inches across and 2 1/2 inches high. Hope that helps.

Brett
Thank you Brett!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:32 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'm about to tackle the PM136 this weekend. The motor is sitting here on my desk. Wondering if I should wait now...

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
David, can you post up the cage measurements on the PM136? I'll try to get PM138 measurements this weekend. The final question will come down to how much clearance is there for cages in the heater cage housing? is there room for slightly wider? slightly longer?

Old March 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Will post up and can tell you as soon as i pull the housing to increase the firewall hole.

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Update: At this point I've suspended the heater fan upgrade on my truck due to a new development. Throughout the winter, I noticed that my heater fan output when my Webasto is running was always double the flow of the heater running in normal configuration, but I never got around to investigating it. I suspected that somehow, my Webasto wiring install had an error in it and as a result, I suspected that my normal fan circuit was running through a Webasto harness resistor somehow. Well I finally investigated it last week. What I found was that I had wired the Webasto correctly. Let me explain further:

The webasto harness uses a relay to control the heater fan + lead. In normal configuration without a Webasto, the positive lead is fed through the a switched lead running from the fuse panel directly on a 16AWG wire. with the Webasto, the Webasto battery + lead (14AWG) runs to a relay, as well as the normal + switched lead from the fuse panel, and then from the relay to the fan. The webasto bus controls the triggers of the relay. When the Webasto is off, the + feed runs from the Defender fuse panel, through the relay to the fan + lead. That when the fan is running slow on hi. When the Webasto is on, it triggers the relay to closed, and the power flows now from the Webasto battery lead to the heater fan-double the output (running at a normal cars speed). Using jumpers to bypass the relay, I was able to figure out, that it really comes down to the 16AWG factory lead to the heater, just like the factory headlight configuration.

To increase the current flow, I split the Webasto + lead to the relay into two, with the other split going to a 2nd relay and that relay is triggered by the original heater + lead. Now, when the accessory switch is on, the fan gets the Webasto battery lead without the Webasto being on. Tested today on a cold morning, for the very first time, I got hi output heat from my heater, enough to feel a solid burst of air flow hitting my legs through the under dash AC heater duct. With this turn of events, I don't feel I even need a fan upgrade now.

I just wish I had realized this earlier. The bottom line is the OEM heater needs a wiring upgrade just like the headlights, with the OEM wire becoming the trigger to a relay, and the heater receiving a 14AWG minimum direct (but fused) feed from the battery. The results are impressive for very little effort.

Old April 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The stock wiring should not be restricting power to the fan, at least from my own testing. You might have a bad heater switch or something else in the circuit causing a problem.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
well no problem now!

Old April 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
yes! wiring change was post port widening. before Hi speed is now my after Low speed-literally. may be that 16 awg was just enough in a new harness, and with age the resistance increases to sub par

Old April 27th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The stock wiring should not be restricting power to the fan, at least from my own testing. You might have a bad heater switch or something else in the circuit causing a problem.
BTW, in the fall, before this switched positive upgrade last week, I did a full diagnostic on the heater switch wiring (the ground feed through the switch). This included pulling the switch and doing a full cleaning with electrical cleaner on it, as well as replacing the black wire (with 14awg) going from the switch to the heater, and from the switch to chassis ground. After that work, I tested no ohms through the earth circuit on hi speed. so if there was residual resistance it was from fuse panel to heater.

I can say for sure that a 14awg upgrade to both pos and neg leads was a significant performance increase for me.

Old April 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
That's good info Mark, thank you.
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:06 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Subscribed awesome stuff.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
As an update, I'm going to be doing the DefenderVent install so I now plan on doing the heater blower fan upgrade in the spring. I'll post up then if the Autozone PM137 2 pole blower will fit. Of course, if someone else plans to do this upgrade in advance of that, by all means let us know what part works.

Old March 9th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Another update. Being so nice here finally in charlotte, I decided to look into a recent loss of blower strength over last 2 months. I suspected heat air was leaking in places. I went to drop the AC facia, and that's when I notice that I left the mounting screws loose, allowing a huge gap around the lower foams seals between AC and heater duct. Ok. So the I turned on my heater with AC dropped and WOW the blower was really kicking with the wiring mod I made previously. I tightened everything up and that is when I noticed the huge drop in blower strength when it passes through the AC. So time to investigate. Examining the actual duct face on the AC, I notice that it is only about a 1.5 inch hole - significantly smaller that the actual heater duct! It was the bulkhead mod all over again. They made it small for that pathetic little square foam seal. So I ripped it off, dremeled the top off to open it up, and added foam seal around it on both heater side and AC side. Huge improvement in blower pressure!

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

Just wanted to add additional info here. Fan PM137 works on RHD defenders. Just had to swap the cage for the counter clockwise fan that was on the car, and wire it up accordingly.

Harrison
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Mark, did you end up using pm137? I'm about to do this and not clear on which one to buy.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
not yet take the lead!

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:13 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Mark c'mon man, we can do this. let's make a pact to do all our heater upgrades by 2017?
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
just started on this wonderful journey...and I gather from John/Jason et al that the bulkhead opening needs an additional 2" to the pass side- correct?

I have a bare bulkhead right now so I want to get this out of the way while it's easy to cut and access!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3068.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	142649  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, fan, heater, nas