Heater fan upgrade in the NAS D-90???? - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Thanks! Did you hook it up for 2 speed with the rover resistor?
I just piggybacked off the factory resistor...which if you don't change the wiring it does automatically. Unless you're changing the switch (in the cabin) then there's no reason (in my mind) to bother changing the resistor setup.

I will forewarn you that the "low" setting is still pretty weak.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

I will forewarn you that the "low" setting is still pretty weak.
Interesting. I wonder if getting a lower ohms resistor would improve that then? Anybody know how many ohms the resistor is?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if getting a lower ohms resistor would improve that then? Anybody know how many ohms the resistor is?
It definitely would improve that...I just didn't feel like getting into soldering a new resistor in, and ideally what you'd actually want to do is add a "middle" setting rather than bump up the low. But thats probably too much of a pain in the arse...and I'm not sure how you'd modify the cabin controls to have another switch setting.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I'll take it on!

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:00 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Does anyone know if the snail housing has the same width as the S3 snail housing?
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
buckyballz
Dave
'87 90 military soft top

Hi! , I think the series may have a different width, the D90 scroll has an internal width of approx 80mm. As to the problem of adding the separate ground wire to the PM136 motor, generally speaking there is a later version of most motors with a two pole connector fitted, you might try PM137. Obviously being UK based, I'm only working from catalogues and pictures, so a trip to the local parts store for a side by side comparo would be a good plan!.
Cheers ,Dave.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM
buckyballz
Dave
'87 90 military soft top

After another look, I think PM138 may be the one. PM137 has a different size wheel.
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyballz View Post
Hi! , I think the series may have a different width, the D90 scroll has an internal width of approx 80mm. As to the problem of adding the separate ground wire to the PM136 motor, generally speaking there is a later version of most motors with a two pole connector fitted, you might try PM137. Obviously being UK based, I'm only working from catalogues and pictures, so a trip to the local parts store for a side by side comparo would be a good plan!.
Cheers ,Dave.
Thanks for the measurement.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
So has anyone had a look at PM138 and compared it to PM136? This is definitely on my summer upgrade plan. Looking through the post again I see that the resistor is 10 ohms. I just need to source something like a 5 ohm resistor. Maybe from a D1? Anybody have a scrap D1 that's apart?

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2013 08:37 AM ------

Jason, you've had it all winter now. How did it work out for you? Anything you would do differently?

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
buckyballz
Dave
'87 90 military soft top

The resistor on my '87 90 reads 2.5ohms
Quote:
So has anyone had a look at PM138 and compared it to PM136? This is definitely on my summer upgrade plan. Looking through the post again I see that the resistor is 10 ohms. I just need to source something like a 5 ohm resistor. Maybe from a D1? Anybody have a scrap D1 that's apart?

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2013 08:37 AM ------

Jason, you've had it all winter now. How did it work out for you? Anything you would do differently?
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Interesting. Maybe shooting for 1 ohm is the way to go

Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
It sweats me out, but I honestly think it's a combination of the upgraded motor with the bulkhead cutout. Only gripe is that there should be 3-speeds. The high rocks, but the low is like an asthmatic kitten (to quote another member). Would be nice to have a middle speed, or what you're doing replacing the resistor. I was just too lazy to do that, but I think doing that you'll be happy with it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I'm doing the research on this now. Here's a good thread on resistor replacement below. Really good posting quoted here:

"gw8izr
20th Aug 2012, 10:46
Motor tested here at 12V. Fast speed current is 6.8A slow speed is 1.7A, cold resistance of the original resistor is 4R5.

Motor running resistance is therefore 1.7R Adding something between 4R and 5R will drop speed to about same as original value.

At slow speed with current at 1.7R that resistor will be dissipating about 15W so it needs to be cooled, thats why LR put it inside the casing so the blower cools it. If your mounting a resistor externally it needs to be on a heatsink and it will get fairly hot.

A suitable resistor would be a WELWYN - WH50 4R7 JI - RESISTOR, WW 50W 5% 4R7 which is available from many places including the likes of CPC for 1.92 incl vat

http://cpc.farnell.com/welwyn/wh50-4r7-ji/resistor-ww-50w-5-4r7/dp/RE03489?crosssellid=RE03489&crosssell=true&in_merc h=true&

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/463684.pdf

If you want the fan to run a bit faster on the slow speed you could substitute a smaller resistor value such as 3R3 which would increase the current to 2.5A, the resistor would then be dissipating 20W so would run even hotter. Dont forget the dash switch and wiring has to handle the increased current so stay as near to OEM as reasonably sensible."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1609846157...84.m1423.l2649

There is also a UK guy that sells a kit to replace the low speed resistor that requires no permanent mods.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/archiv.../t-231119.html

I'm going to have to go through NAPA's cataloge and see what I can find on those recommended resistors. I like the idea of moving the resistor to an external bay mounted heat sink. that way no heater removal is required for replacement and testing ongoing. with a TDI, I don't have a engine bay heat problem anyway. I have the bulkhead hole mod, and when the blower is on, I have plenty of heat (temperature), it's the blower that need improvement, and low speed is virtually asthmatic.

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I did some further research and found these ceramic 3R3 60W resistors for $5 shipped on ebay! I'm going to get one of these and one of the PM136 or PM138 blowers and do some bench testing on them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3-ohm-60W-...item4ac0e0e2fb

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyballz View Post
After another look, I think PM138 may be the one. PM137 has a different size wheel.

looking online at Autozone, the PM136 and PM137 have the same dimensions for body and shaft but cage dimensions are not listed. PM136 is one connector; PM137 has two as mentioned.

PM138 is one pole, but all dimensions are the same as other two except for body size, which is slightly narrower, but that shouldn't really matter I would think.

Before I go into an autozone and start comparing parts, can anyone provide the width and height of the OEM LR cage, so I can make the comparisons for fit?

------ Follow up post added March 26th, 2013 11:52 AM ------

Got some specs on PM137 from Napa online.
Part Number: BK 6551778
Product Line: Balkamp
Attributes:
Blower Motor Rotation : Clock Wise Shaft End
Case Mounting Face To Mounting Face (C) : 3 15/16"
Case Mounting Face To Mounting Flange (F) : 1 13/32"
Mounting Hole Center To Center (E) : Varies
Outside Motor Diameter (D) : 3 3/8"
Overall Motor Length (B) : 4 5/16"
Shaft Diameter : 5/16"
Shaft Extension From Face (A) : 2 1/8"
Voltage : 12 Volt DC

I'm thinking the motor spec is the cage

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Before I go into an autozone and start comparing parts, can anyone provide the width and height of the OEM LR cage, so I can make the comparisons for fit?

anybody? need squirrel cage dimensions

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
anybody? need squirrel cage dimensions
I sold my old one to a dude in Canada otherwise I'd measure it for you. Want me to dig up his contact info to see if he still has it out?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
I sold my old one to a dude in Canada otherwise I'd measure it for you. Want me to dig up his contact info to see if he still has it out?
I appreciate it but no worries. The hoarders on this board certainly have one or two sitting on a shelf probably an arms reach from their desktops.

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I appreciate it but no worries. The hoarders on this board certainly have one or two sitting on a shelf probably an arms reach from their desktops.
If it turns out they're all too busy spanking it over the NC news, let me know and I'll reach out to him.

I'm also impressed that you're taking the heater upgrade to even the "next" level. Bravo Mark!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
If it turns out they're all too busy spanking it over the NC news, let me know and I'll reach out to him.

I'm also impressed that you're taking the heater upgrade to even the "next" level. Bravo Mark!
If you think you can get a quick response from him, go for it! I don't think anybody on this forum is following any other thread right now! lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, fan, heater, nas