heater fan testing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

heater fan testing

My heater fan appears to have died but I need to confirm this 100% before going after a warranty replacement. What is the best way to do this?

If I short at the switch to ground nothing happens, I am not 100% on how the rest works and have limited spare fuses with me, but given I am driving every day the lack of heat is getting annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

A defender warranty? Wow!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Stick something in through the intake and make sure it turns freely. They get easily jambed with dirt or ice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:26 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow, I do run a snow guard though and I have been in New Mexico for a week now so probably not ice.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

You should be able to turn the fan by hand (with the power off, of course) by sticking your hand into the air inlet. If not, try soaking the fan area the best you can with some sort of break-free type spray (e.g. WD-40). If it still doesn't move, say "Hello" to cold legs

If the does move, you can try shorting the switch connectors to ground. This is fairly high current, so use some jumper wires; don't short it by hand. If the fan spins, you may have a bad switch or a bad ground wire on the switch.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Have you scanned the fuses yet? Check for the fuse(30 amp) piggy-backed on top of the heater box itself under hood. Why that fuse loves to blow after it's been sitting and we get a cold spell I don't know...but they do!
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Just unplug the connecter to the fan motor (its on the top left corner on a 94 D90 and its black). I just disconnected mine when I took out the box for the new heater core last weekend. Then to test, stick some - & + wires into the connectors and see if it spins. Then you'll know for sure if it works.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan, heater