Heater core ?? & FYI - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2005, 02:57 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Question Heater core ?? & FYI

So I took my heater out today because it was blowing luke wram for the last couple months. What I found was interesting.
After I dissasembled the unit I was suprised to find the core reasonably clean, a little dirt and leaves but nothing caking to block the air flow. Then I noticed a problem: There is a foam piece that covers the door that opens and closes for hot or cold air, that foam piece was detached half way. What I think happens is when the lever in the cabin is turned to hot the door opend allowing air to pass through the core, but the loose foam piece blocks the majority of that air going to the core making the air in the cabin just warm.

Just thought I should throw that out there. I'm think I'mjust going to epoxy the foam back on or just rip it off. The only problem with removing it is that it would always "leak" warm air.

Do you guys think I'm on the right track here? is there any way to test my core to see if heat transfer is occuring, I would hate to put the whole thing back togather and still have luke warm air.

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sounds like you are on track, you could flow test the core to see if it is blocked.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:50 PM
D90user
steve

Mike,
How do I do a flow test? How will I know how much Flow there is suppoed to be? New cores are an arm and a leg, Id really like to not buty one. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Radiator shops can do flow checks, that or when i check my radiator I put the garden hose up to one end and make sure it flows out the other side pretty easy when laying flat on the ground. Not very scientific but I at least know it's not badly blocked. If you poor hot water into it, the fins should have a fairly even temp across, if one section is hot and another section is cold that would indicate a blockage.
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
D90user
steve

thanks mike, I'll give it a try!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater