Heater controls - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2005, 11:32 AM
jracenstein
Jeffrey Racenstein

Heater controls

the control knob that adjusts the air temperature in my '94 defefender is stuck in the up position (Cold) Has anyone had this happend and how hard is it to fix? I like working on the truck but am certainly no expert. Thanks in advance

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Probally not to bad, nothing more than a frozen heater cable, the go across the firewall to the box on the passengerside firewall, does the lever move?
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mine does that once in a while, usually just a good yank gets it unstuck,

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
When mine did the same thing I was able to take out the screws that hold the plastic piece that covers the levers and then slightly tweak the levers so they don't jam each other, check the cables, lube them, and put things back together. It was about a half hour job. I have not had a problem since.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

follow STephens advice and it will be sorted
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:59 PM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Found the Answer: Pics included

It turns out that there is a spring-loaded pin that 'clicks' into a slot in the up position. On mine, I noticed that the slot had been worn into a sharper angle than it should have so the pin would hit the "wall" instead of sliding up the slope when pressure was applied. I took a file and ground down the slope to make it smoother and more gradual. Afterwards I used some Land Rover clear touch up paint sealer to coat the metal a couple of times as it's really hard to get sandpaper in there to smooth it out. Finally, I oiled the spring and pushed it in fully a bunch of times to make sure it hadn't seized.

No need to be a mechanic for this. All you need is a Philips head screwdriver, a file and some oil.

Works like a charm now and still 'clicks'!

Best to all.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Control 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	5193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Control 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	5194  

Old March 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulx70
It turns out that there is a spring-loaded pin that 'clicks' into a slot in the up position. On mine, I noticed that the slot had been worn into a sharper angle than it should have so the pin would hit the "wall" instead of sliding up the slope when pressure was applied. I took a file and ground down the slope to make it smoother and more gradual. Afterwards I used some Land Rover clear touch up paint sealer to coat the metal a couple of times as it's really hard to get sandpaper in there to smooth it out. Finally, I oiled the spring and pushed it in fully a bunch of times to make sure it hadn't seized.

No need to be a mechanic for this. All you need is a Philips head screwdriver, a file and some oil.

Works like a charm now and still 'clicks'!

Best to all.

Paul
Had a similar issue with my control level. I added a little oil about a year ago and have not had an issue since.
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulx70
It turns out that there is a spring-loaded pin that 'clicks' into a slot in the up position. On mine, I noticed that the slot had been worn into a sharper angle than it should have so the pin would hit the "wall" instead of sliding up the slope when pressure was applied.

l
CvC had the same thing on his. I opened it up and we ground it down a bit with the ol' Dremel. Good as new. He was happy to have heat in these chilly chilly Texas winters. I can see why, it's only going to be 83 here today and like 88 tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater