Heater Box removal help NAS 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
Heater Box removal help NAS 90

I am trying to pull my heater box and replace the fan on my 94 NAS 90. Mine has A/C, I have pulled the section that has the vents off. Loosened the top of the A/C unit and pushed it down some. I cannot see the 4 bolts that should be holding it on. I have searched the threads and cannot find any insight.

I am sure that I am doing something wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I had to replace the heater core in my truck a couple of years ago, and as I remember the bottom 2 bolts were behind the AC duct, and the top 2 were behind the dash. Then there was some contortions required to actually pull the heater unit. Once I had the thing out, I installed riv-nuts so I would not have to take all the dash bits off the next time. Good luck, I am sure others will chime in.

Angus
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:57 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Hey Jason - are you replacing the fan for the heater or the A/C? I replaced the blower on my NAS D90 this summer and essentially pulled out the entire unit in the passenger compartment. It was a pain but the plate that the blower attaches to was way rusted so it gave me a good excuse to clean and paint it. I can send pictures if you want. The new blower I bought from SPAL USA is great.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
Did you have to drop the A/C unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I had to replace the heater core in my truck a couple of years ago, and as I remember the bottom 2 bolts were behind the AC duct, and the top 2 were behind the dash. Then there was some contortions required to actually pull the heater unit. Once I had the thing out, I installed riv-nuts so I would not have to take all the dash bits off the next time. Good luck, I am sure others will chime in.

Angus
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Yep. That was the only way to get at the nuts. That is why the riv-nuts on re-assembly.

Angus
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

look for the thread on cutting the bulkhead to get more air flow out of the heater box. Simple trick. the heater box is a pain in the arse. if you do find the two that bolts that go through the heater box mount from the engine bay. Fix a vice grip on them and get them from the top side. Don't forge your foam between the box and the bulkhead maybe all disintegrated on install.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, heater, nas