Heater adjustment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Heater adjustment

I am having problems with my defrost or heat lever. I can not get the defrost to go off with the lever or even when I remove the cable end and pull it with pliers... Anyone have probs with theres?
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I am assuming that you can't get it to blow on the windscreen. The cable goes behind the instruments and enters vertically into a furled holes and attaches to a lever which opens two flaps. The flaps have a rudimentary "spring". It is all metal and any moisture starts it rusting. If you pull the gray plastic tray out, you can get to where the cable enters and spray lubricant and see if things will loosen up. Failing that, the dash has to come off and there are about 20 little screws holding the cover on. The little springs can be ordered and replaced.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Sorry, wrote the response at work - got in the defender and realized the cable is accessible by removing the instrument binacle or whatever it is called. If lubrication does not work then ----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had the entire dash off at one time. I will now remove the gauges and take a look at the cable and where it goes into the box. The last thing I want to do is remove the dash right now..

I actually cant get the defroster to stop blowing. Which in turn does not give you much heat on your feet. My dad took it hunting the other day and on the ride home he noticed the problem with cold feet...
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Has anyone replaced this cable-flap control system with something electrically actuated??

Anyone have a source on this type of controller or damper for vent tubing??
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

It's actually a simple (and therefore theoritically foolproof) mechinism. When I had mine apart, I cleaned it, derusted it and painted it. A lot of the time, it is the lever on the dash that causes the problems, it is exposted to weather (at least on the ST version) and I found taking it off and lubercating it helped.
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you are having trouble with the fitting which goes through the metal "under tray" into the top of the lower dash, then thread the fitting and put a nut on it. It pulls through the metal really easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

lol, now I have this problem. I noticed after putting in a new heatercore, I only have heat blowing on the windscreen, but the flat that controls the flow of air to the footwells is stuck, or something. Possible to access the flap parts without taking the dash off?

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2011 06:15 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
lol, now I have this problem. I noticed after putting in a new heatercore, I only have heat blowing on the windscreen, but the flap that controls the flow of air to the footwells is stuck, or something. Possible to access the flap parts without taking the dash off?

Robert Deniro
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quick temporary fix. By removing the little air flow director (in the foot-well on the drivers side), you can stick your fingers into the hole and push the flap up that redirect the foot-well air flow to the defroster.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Those cables and levers tend to get dirt and rust accumlation which causes them to operate roughly or sieze. I lubricate the levers and use cable lube to do the cables. Elevate them and leave them over night for the fluid to work it's way down.

On the subject of the defrost, I just installed the DefenderVent from MudStuff. Incredible improvement over OEM units plus side defrost.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater