Heater ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Palomino
Rico Palomino
1995 D90 SW #001

Heater ?

It's been a little colder than normal down here in Florida and I have began to realize how much the heater in my D90 SUCKS! I will be traveling north for the first time during the winter and was wondering if the radiator/grill covers help increase the heat. I don't want my family to be frozen while on vacation.

Thanks
Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

New water pump does wonders. Pull all the crap off that is blocking the flow of the vents. It was 22 today here. Stayed warm with a crappy original soft top from 94.
And I love you too
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:01 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

It does help get and keep the engine to a proper temp. Other wise it will run a little "cooler". Just make sure that it is cold like high of 35 for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Check the heat adjustment cable going into the engine bay. If you are blowing cold air, could mean the cable hasn't opened the heat all the way. I thought mine sucked until I checked. Now it blows hot instead of warm.
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Check the heat adjustment cable going into the engine bay. If you are blowing cold air, could mean the cable hasn't opened the heat all the way. I thought mine sucked until I checked. Now it blows hot instead of warm.
any chance you can post a pic of what you're talking about? mine could be warmer...
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
any chance you can post a pic of what you're talking about? mine could be warmer...
Tomorrow morning is the best I can do, but it's pretty simple. The heat level cable goes through the bulkhead and connects to the heat control in the engine bay. The cable connects to a lever that if not pushed (or pulled) - can't remember which direction, - all the way, won't give you max heat. Once I got the heat maxed out, I don't touch the control switch till spring.
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

no rush at all, I wasn't planning on messing with it anytime soon.
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
My heater was working marginally at best. I changed out the heater core when it started leaking and now the heater works great. The old one was very corroded inside, so not much coolant was circulating through it.
Old December 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Mine was a leaky thermostat causing the engine to never get above 160F, new thermostat and it runs at 195F again and pumps out good heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:03 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Here are some picts as requested. The cable sticks and doesn't open up the lever, so it helps to manually extend the line and push the arm all the way out. I read how to do this here and it has helped make the heat output hotter. I've tried to lube the line and assembly to get it to work properly, but still sticks. Sorry for the dirty engine compartment pics. Rausch Creek Mud is a PITA to remove! Also, Waxoyl is a magnet for dust and mud

Still cold when you get in, but that is what seat covers are for. Might invest in some nice sheepskin ones eventually!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	34051   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	34052  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	34053   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	34054  

Old December 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
My heater was working marginally at best. I changed out the heater core when it started leaking and now the heater works great. The old one was very corroded inside, so not much coolant was circulating through it.
I have a dingbat question - do you have to pull the whole heater box to replace the core? Or can you drain the fluid, pull the heater hoses and then unscrew the core?

Am I totally off here?
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
At least on my RHD 110 you had to pull the box to get to the rivets on the back side. No way to open it up in place. It's not hard to remove the box though.
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
At least on my RHD 110 you had to pull the box to get to the rivets on the back side. No way to open it up in place. It's not hard to remove the box though.
Thanks Charles - I think that's the way it is with mine. That's a project for the spring, though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater