Heated Seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558
Heated Seats

Okay so I have the Waeco Heated Seat kit from RoversNorth installed. Sometimes I'm not sure if they even work and if they do it seems like they take quite some time to heat up. I'm wondering if I should go a different route with the way I have them wired up? (i.e. through a battery cubby box add-on fusebox with direct battery connection)? I have a headlight harness upgrade currently, so I already have my headlights connected to my battery directly and would like a neater set-up with those as well. Someday I might add some auxiliary lights and don't want to end up with a tangle of wires going all directions through the cab and it seems like an additional fusebox in the battery compartment is a popular choice among D90 owners who run multiple accessories to keep things neat and tidy.

Currently I have my heated seats plugged in with spade connectors to a blank relay insert on the relay panel under my dash. (SEE ATTACHED PICS). On install I tested this relay plug-in and found it provided 12 volts with the ignition on; which is why I chose it but I'm just unsure if this is really a great place to be pulling voltage from as my heated seat kit came with its own set of relays and fuses.

So if anyone has the heated seat kit from RN installed are you getting good heat and where are you pulling power from and if you have other accessories how do you make it all work together??? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	111943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	111944  

Old January 27th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS
i have the kit from Exmoor - they take a while to heat up then they are nice and hot. Its definitely not instant heat.

I used a piggy back fuse on the lighter for Ignition power - this runs to a relay (in the tuffy below the stereo) with a direct connect to the battery for power. All the wiring a stuff is below the stereo in the tuffy. Which if i need to replace a relay for fuse is a bit of a pita but not critical since its just a seat heater.

Ignition switch triggers the relay and the seat heaters pull off the battery that way not the fuse box tap. Switches are on the sides of the tuffy box.

In the jeep i used a another brand of seat heaters made by Check Corp. the take a little less time to heat up but not by much.

hope that helps
Defenders don't wear out they just need more parts.

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions