Heat temps very low - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2005, 10:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Heat temps very low

This is the first winter driving a 97SW that i purchased this past summer. I've owned a 94D before and had no complaints about the heater temps. Always toasty. However, this truck has yet to really heat up. Is this a sign of something wrong? The blower works strong its really just the temp of the air that's the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well,
I'd say your t-stat is sticking open or your heater cable is misadjusted, or you're not getting flow through your heater core.
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm with Rob. For some reason, the heater core isn't getting any hot water into it. It could be that the engine isn't getting hot enough, or that the flow through the core may be clogged. Worst case could also be a water pump, but you'd probably be overheating the engine if that was the problem.

Let it warm up, then feel the hoses running to the heater core and the radiator to see what's up. If anything feels soft and spongy, you've got air in the lines. If it's cold to the heater core and warm to the radiator, you're heater core is clogged.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
check to make sure the blend cables are moving the mechanisms on the heater core.. if not, I would think its the thermostat
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Is the truck warming up slow? If so change the thermostat.

check the pipes going to the heater for heat

Also re adjust your heater controls. if you want it hot:
set lever to hot. Disconnect the cable on top of heater (I believe) that controls a flap thet lets air go around the heater core or through it. pull it all the way open (the direction it goes when set to hot) and it will seal out the bypass around the core. while pulling lightly get the skrew tight.

When you pull the lever to closed (cold) now it will still leak a little hot air (at least that's how myne is) but it will blow hot. If you want to make it not leak do the same but oppsite in the summer

If that dosn't work. Take out the heater core open her up and see if there is mud in the core or if it is clogged. If you need to do that contact me if you have questions.

-s
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

I noticed that the truck was leaking hot air into the cab, so I adjusted the cable, problem fixed. But now when I want the heat on, it is barely warm. Before the adjustment the heat was very toasty when on.

Has anyone solved this problem? Hot when you want it, and off when you don't...without constantly readjusting the heater cable.
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I leave mine on full hot, then control the heat with the fan speed and an open window !

JS
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

You could have air trapped in the system as well.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

I think I discovered the problem; the end of the cable housing is not firmly attached at the dash lever end so when I move the lever the cable only pulls out of the housing a little bit before the whole assembly starts moving. I haven't taken the dash apart before, anything should look out for?
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yes, the side panels crack really easily, and it you're going to have bulbs getting pulled from behind the gauges. Be prepared to be frustrated.

Removing the cable from the speedometer makes life much easier too.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions