Heat Sheild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:46 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Heat Sheild

Does anyone know where I can find heat sheild material. The heat sheild above the right side cat is fubared & no one seems to be able to find it in their books?!{RN RDS TLR ECT}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Peter, Are you referring to the "fabric" type or the foil covered "panel" stuff that is around the starter, etc?

If the fabric, I ran into the same issue. The Dealer eventually found it on their books, refered to as a "grass shield" but it was unavailable.

My 110 had a fabric material protecting the Transmission Oil Cooler Lines that run past the Drivers Side Cat. It was soaked in oil and was actually hiding the fact one of the lines had rubbed through by being against the cat ..... but that is another story. (I actually think my lines running from the oil cooler to the back of the R380 Transmission are installed "upside down"...)

I fabricated a new shield by purchaseing a "Taylor Heat Blankets Heat Barrier, Heat Blanket, 14 in. x 6 in., Universal, Each 19.99 - part # TAY-2544 from Summit Racing. I folded it over the pipes and then sewed the edges together with Kelvar Thread that I purchased from a locall hobby shop.

I have not found the aluminumized panel stuff….
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I need the panel stuff. I might just make one from a couple of sheets of Alum with something in between? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thumbs up

You can probably find what you need to repair your heat shield at www.heatshieldproducts.com
Look at the Inferno Shield in the automotive section. Rob
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Rob, Thanks! Send me a bill!!
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:14 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Peter,
I am using some of their Reflecta-sleeve on the heater hoses and oil cooler hoses on a customers D110 that I have in the shop. Let me know how your heat shields turn out...maybe post some pics if you can. It looks like this stuff would work really good to remake damaged factory heat shields.
Rob
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Heat Shield again

Long drives cause very hot floorboards, seat boxes and the tuffy making long pants and shirt sleeves a necessity! I have no carpets and want to keep it that way.

Does any one have any experience and success in using heat shielding on the firewall and underbody?

I'm considering the aluminised 'blanket' shield used in race cars but don't want to pepper the sheet metal with (more) screw holes. There are self adhesive versions available up to 400degrees, but I dont want it to fail and wrap around a propshaft.

Maybe there is a another, better solution?

Thanks,
Owen
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mine has heat shielding all over the place around the cats, looks like the previous owner had it installed as it doesn't look like factory work. Some type of solid panel material on brackets, holds the shielding about an inch and a half away from the cats. Not bad work, but not stock for sure. I've never experienced the hot floorboard problems at all, they get warm to the touch, but nothing I even pay attention to.

Some versions you clamp to the body of the cats themselves, or the exhaust pipes, so no need to start drilling holes anywhere like was done on mine.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen
Long drives cause very hot floorboards, seat boxes and the tuffy making long pants and shirt sleeves a necessity! I have no carpets and want to keep it that way.

Does any one have any experience and success in using heat shielding on the firewall and underbody?

I'm considering the aluminised 'blanket' shield used in race cars but don't want to pepper the sheet metal with (more) screw holes. There are self adhesive versions available up to 400degrees, but I dont want it to fail and wrap around a propshaft.

Maybe there is a another, better solution?

Thanks,
Owen
I had the normal heat issues with my Defender that everyone else has. I went to my local hardware store and ordered a 100sq ft. roll of Peel and Seel or Peel and Stick, cant remember the exact name but it is essentially the same stuff as Dynomat with aluminium on one side. It ran me about $89 for the roll. I did my firewall, floor, seat boxes, doors, hood and ceiling headliner. In the engine compartment I used sort of fibreglass blanket and attached it to the firewall. I still have a few left of the blankets. Not only did all this help a ton with heat but also made a big difference in keeping the noise level down. Some naysayers told me the peel and stick would smell like tar or asphalt when it gets hot but 4 years later and many trips to the desert on 100+ degree days and it is holding up well and no smell. For $89 I did my entire truck with plenty to spare.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Great, that sounds just like the way I need to go. Thanks for the advice!

Would you be willing to part with a couple of the blankets?

Owen
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have a gallon of Second Skin Firewall arraving in about 2 weeks (brand new enhanced formula just released). I'm going to be brush painting it on both sides of the firewall, under the transmission tunnel and seat boxes, under the bonnet, and then remainder will be used on the roof interior. It is a liquid thermal insulation AND sound deadener. I'll report on the project and how effective it is after I'm done. If it works well, then I'll be herculining on top of it on the inside.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Another suggestion to toss out there. If you have the ability to do it, also try to block the heat from getting at the starter as well. Really does help their lifespan.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Hell...I thought that was the factory auxiliary heater on my truck cause the real heater isn't worth a poop. Save the heat shield stuff...I like it hot.
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I have Dynamat Extreme and Extremeliner on my footwells, and Dynamat Extreme under the seats and cubby box. I really didn't notice any improvement. On long drives in warm weather, it still gets really hot inside. I think my next attempt will be along the lines of Hans truck with the heat shields under the truck. I'm hoping the main heat source is the exhaust which will minimize the amount of shielding required.
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Yep thats what I'm wanting to do. Comfort and leg burns asside it cant be good to cook the computer and the battery!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions