Heat question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Heat question

When I pull the heat direction lever on the left of the wheel it will not completely seperate the heat flow. I have half coming out the def. vents and half at the feet. I seem to remember getting all the heat at the feet when I move the lever all the way down.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The cables get dirty, and sometimes things get jammed into the flap down by your feet. The flap by your feet is covered by a piece of plastic that can be easily removed by taking out the 2 screws holding it on. Check out the flap, there is also one on the passenger side but it is covered by the AC vent. Why is it the heaters always break in the winter?
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
thanks Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Hmm.. here I thought the heater always blew some on the window.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well yes, sorta, the flappy thingies don't seal 100% (what do you expect it's a rover) so you end up with some coming out the top. I would say when they work right it will just feel warm up top with no notciable air flow, but my heat hasn't worked in a while so I may be wrong.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah me too, I have the same thing going on. I dont expect much of the rovers heater tho so.......
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

You can't shut off the heat completely to the defrost. That's the way they are built. I put the radiatior muff on in the winter time so it looks like it's going to put out heat. Ha Ha
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Besides removing some of that foam on the bottom vents you can also drill a couple of holes to direct more of the flow straight out.

My 110 has two square cutouts per plastic vent and it's certainly more noticeable. of course, it's a diesel so the heat output is crappy!

To be honest, I've never found the D90's heat inadequate. The only improvement I would do is the following: remove the plastic scoop heading to the fender and replace with a custom distribution box. The box will have two incoming ducts: one with fresh air heading toward the front of the engine bay, behind the radiator and the other with recirculated air heading back to the cabin.

The box will also have a cable driven flap to select from the two paths. Now, to be honest, I could easily get by without the fresh air duct and just have hotter, recirculated air. I already get fogging problems as it is so what the heck.

At the very least I will definitely get rid of that stupid fender intake and avoid all the water and snow problems that come with it.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
www.d-90.com/mod/blow.html have a look around people

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions