Defender Source Forum banner

Heat question

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rover4x4 
#1 ·
When I pull the heat direction lever on the left of the wheel it will not completely seperate the heat flow. I have half coming out the def. vents and half at the feet. I seem to remember getting all the heat at the feet when I move the lever all the way down.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

#2 ·
The cables get dirty, and sometimes things get jammed into the flap down by your feet. The flap by your feet is covered by a piece of plastic that can be easily removed by taking out the 2 screws holding it on. Check out the flap, there is also one on the passenger side but it is covered by the AC vent. Why is it the heaters always break in the winter?

#5 ·
Well yes, sorta, the flappy thingies don't seal 100% (what do you expect it's a rover) so you end up with some coming out the top. I would say when they work right it will just feel warm up top with no notciable air flow, but my heat hasn't worked in a while so I may be wrong.

#8 · (Edited)
Besides removing some of that foam on the bottom vents you can also drill a couple of holes to direct more of the flow straight out.

My 110 has two square cutouts per plastic vent and it's certainly more noticeable. of course, it's a diesel so the heat output is crappy!

To be honest, I've never found the D90's heat inadequate. The only improvement I would do is the following: remove the plastic scoop heading to the fender and replace with a custom distribution box. The box will have two incoming ducts: one with fresh air heading toward the front of the engine bay, behind the radiator and the other with recirculated air heading back to the cabin.

The box will also have a cable driven flap to select from the two paths. Now, to be honest, I could easily get by without the fresh air duct and just have hotter, recirculated air. I already get fogging problems as it is so what the heck.

At the very least I will definitely get rid of that stupid fender intake and avoid all the water and snow problems that come with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.