Heat - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I see a lot of posts about adding dynamat around the seat boxes to reduce heat transfer. On the driver side, wouldn't it make more sense to just do ONE sheet under the battery inside the seat box? Rather than the whole external box - which requires additional cosmetic considerations... Thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
I see a lot of posts about adding dynamat around the seat boxes to reduce heat transfer. On the driver side, wouldn't it make more sense to just do ONE sheet under the battery inside the seat box? Rather than the whole external box - which requires additional cosmetic considerations... Thought?
I would start under the truck, between the exhaust and the vehicle. Add some sort of heat shield to deflect first. And if that isn't enough I would pull the driver floor and dynamat the bottom, along with the bottom of the seat box. FYI I dynamated everything and have a rubber heat mat and I still can feel some heat coming through when I wear flip flops! SMH hot feet suck!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I thought about Dynamat under the truck but it would have an adhesion problem. Even if you pulled the exhaust and steam cleaned the area you'd have a problem. The options as I see it are limited to the Summit Heat shield and even then there are attachment problems.

I stopped trying to make it something it's never going to be and just add the few upgrades that are reasonable. I am going to be upgrading my full exhaust soon and am considering installing the Summit Shields because I already have them. I've done as much as I can from the inside with the Dynamat and Exmoor cabin condom.

The D90 is what it is. The perfect driving machine!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2013, 04:54 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Point taken. It'll never be a Mercedes SUV, I get that. Just trying to stop the skin from melting off my feet. But your point is valid. It's a Defender.
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

For those that have used Dynamat / similar in the front cab, did you install it on the top side (interior) of the floor boards? I'm getting ready to line the rear cargo area and wheel wells of the 90, and am starting to think about doing the cab part now. I currently have the Exmoor insulated matting up front, but could use a bit more help for when it's hot down here. Oh wait.. that's all the time!

I see Bill's point about longevity issues of trying to stick the dynamat under the floor pan from the outside - it doesn't sound like a great idea. How have people lined the floor pans and seat boxes?

Bill, got a link to the heat shield?
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Dynamat is a sound damper. It is only to prevent the panel from creating sound. You only need it in the center of flat areas. It will do nothing when placed on edges, corners or rounded areas.

You want a barrier to prevent sound transmission.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
For those that have used Dynamat / similar in the front cab, did you install it on the top side (interior) of the floor boards? I'm getting ready to line the rear cargo area and wheel wells of the 90, and am starting to think about doing the cab part now. I currently have the Exmoor insulated matting up front, but could use a bit more help for when it's hot down here. Oh wait.. that's all the time!

I see Bill's point about longevity issues of trying to stick the dynamat under the floor pan from the outside - it doesn't sound like a great idea. How have people lined the floor pans and seat boxes?

Bill, got a link to the heat shield?
http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...20shield&dds=1
Old June 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Make sure you have some heat shields in place. You can get the LR parts or James makes some SS ones:
http://eurorestorations.com/Euro_Res...t_Shields.html

I have added dynamat and dynaliner to the bottom of my floor mats (I didnt like the idea of adding directly to the floorboards). I also added it to the inside of the seatbox lid.

Big improvement.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:32 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Intersting data point I noticed in my saga to identify my heat sources which are overwhelming my front seats (and causing my wife to hate my guts): When I was driving on a highway for about 30 minutes and things were really hot, I noticed my A/c was blowing hot air. I thought it broke. But today i started her up cold and A/c was fine. Does the fact that my a/c blows hot when truck is hot and at speed indicate anything? Thinking about all the facts here, i think the a/c was actually blowing fine on that hot day, and it was the engine bay heat which was overwhelming my vents (thus giving perception the a/c was broken). So taking a step further, maybe in missing a flap or something to block the radiant engine heat from my dash vents? Thoughts?
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Did you do what I said above?
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:37 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Ah - I take it i am I am providing supporting evidence for your suggestion here? Yes i did what you said. I still need to take it for a long drive to test it all out. Thanks
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Ah - I take it i am I am providing supporting evidence for your suggestion here? Yes i did what you said. I still need to take it for a long drive to test it all out. Thanks
Well that could be it. It could also be the condensor is freezing over.
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:40 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Evil, I want the top (horizontal) lever to be to the left, correct? (When facing the rear of the vehicle)
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:52 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Also what does the vertical lever do? Thx again
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

One controls floor vents

One controls fan speed

One controls the heat temp
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I was actually asking about the levers on top and on side of of the heat box itself (under hood). Evilfiji was suggesting I close them there to ensure tight closure. I know they tie back to dash levers, but hard to tell exactly which way to move them for proper effect.
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

There should be two on the box, one controls fan and the other controls temp. Ron was talking about making sure that the heat switch is turned off. If its not the heater coil will stay hot and blow hot air into the lower dash. From there it will leak into the lower floors pans. Resulting in hot feet! You can double check and make sure that the lever cuts off the heat.
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:11 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Thanks. Stupid question im sure but Which lever cuts the heat?
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Thanks. Stupid question im sure but Which lever cuts the heat?
Not stupid cant tell you without looking at it, best I can say is to see which one turns on the fan! The temp will be the other one
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Ok. We both don't want to get off the couch. So You win. Haha. Ok will fiddle with it tomorrow. I think this is likely the issue so i appreciate your help everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions