headman headers and magnaflow y-pipe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2014, 11:43 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

headman headers and magnaflow y-pipe

Getting a 4.6 with ported and polished heads, crower stage 2 cam, top hat style cylinder liners and a hotter coil. I already have the magnaflow y-pipe. I ordered and received the headman headers that bolt up however that may have been premature as apparently they don't even come close to bolting up to the y-pipe either factory or magnaflow. I want the truck to remain legal so I'm leaving the cats on. Do I have options to make these pieces work together or should I try to return the headers and just jet hot the factory manifold and be done with it? My shop says either do that or sell the magnaflow y-pipe and have a muffler shop start over from the headers back. They would have to have cats that would work, a collector of some type and would have to weld in bosses for the o2 sensors.

Anyone have insight for me?

Thanks,
Mit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2014, 11:49 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ditch the ypipe, you dont need cats. let that 4.6 roar. I had a shop build me a ypipe sans cats for 500$ including the tail section. Its loud but I like it.
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:26 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I would take the headers, as I getting ready to order a set

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Y pipe

We made a y pipe for the Headman header application,thought that I might need more had the boys in the shop make a jig for this pipe for mass production stainless or standard.
Bungs for o2 probs in place for 94/95 or 97 with spacers and plugs.I will check this week and see if I can find the jig or it got sh$t canned during a clean up.
Rolf
Old March 30th, 2014, 01:01 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

My D1 has Headers and the Y pipe is custom. I bought the setup used and it came with Magnaflow high flow cats.
I'd keep your headers and make a new Y pipe.
Old March 30th, 2014, 01:21 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
We made a y pipe for the Headman header application,thought that I might need more had the boys in the shop make a jig for this pipe for mass production stainless or standard.
Bungs for o2 probs in place for 94/95 or 97 with spacers and plugs.I will check this week and see if I can find the jig or it got sh$t canned during a clean up.
Rolf
Definately interested!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 30th, 2014, 02:29 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Keep the headers. I had a 110 with a great set of headers. They were also wrapped to reduce heat which worked like a champ. You'll never regret it.

Clay

Old March 30th, 2014, 02:49 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

guys, great feedback and conversation. Thanks. To answer some questions: I want the truck to be street legal so it will have to have cats and o2 sensors. That said, I bought both the headers and y-pipe and I've got to take a loss on one of them. Given that the headers seem to be a performance improvement, I'm going to eventually sell the y-pipe. In talking to my mechanic he recommended I take delivery of the truck with the stock manifold and magnaflow y-pipe and then after 1000 miles or so start the process of building a y-pipe setup that works with those headers. I'll do that. If there is a jig, pictures, plans or anything else that will help I'd be interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
header