Headliners revisited - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Headliners revisited

I am planning to remove and redo my headliner and I was wondering if anyone knows roughly how much space there is between the roof and the factory headliner in an NAS 110. I want to improve the lighting a bit and just want to know what i've got to work with.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its easy to install more lighting, the headliner is separated from the roof by about 3/4" - and you can install a light by screwing it into the center rib. Helps hold up the headliner too. I have an extra light in the yellow 90 installed this way.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
I guess I'm not really helping *your* problem here (sorry), but how are you going to "redo" your headliner? I'm curious because we got our D90 POE with only a front headliner and that was all saggy, so I took it out. I still have it and was going to take it to a local vinyl top shop (cleverly called the Vinyl Top Shop) and see if they can help. My problem is the back part of it. I have no cardboard or whatever it is the fabric is stuck to.

Also, since this is a POE with an aluminum top, it has no factory roll bar over the back of the front seats. I'm figgering that I need to put in the headliner first, then have a roll bar fabbed up by somebody.

I was thinkin' about a LaSalle, but big bucks. Again, just curious what you're doing, and any suggestions on my issues.

Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

My plan is to just recover the original parts although I may make some slight modifications to it, and may strengthen it before recovering it. I am deciding what to cover it with right now. I have found a number of options but right now I am trying to decide which one I want to use. I'll post along with pictures when I finish it so that everyone can see what I have done and give feedback.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For what it's worth, I have a LaSalle in my 110. I have learned the benefit of having a fiberglass (non-fabric) headliner for any rig that is going to get used for anything other than kids and groceries. It's nice to know it can get dinged and won't tear, it can get wet and won't retain water, or leak in the passenger compartment.

I have loaded things like furniture/pipe/wood in the back of the 110, all banging off the LaSalle. if it would have been fabric it would have been damaged. Another nice thing is it is very easy to mount things to the fiberglass headliner (ie dome lights, nets, etc), and it will support the weight.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
My plan is to just recover the original parts although I may make some slight modifications to it, and may strengthen it before recovering it. I am deciding what to cover it with right now. I have found a number of options but right now I am trying to decide which one I want to use. I'll post along with pictures when I finish it so that everyone can see what I have done and give feedback.
Not to hijack the post but has anyone put a headliner in a Fiberglass top? I would like to add more interior lights too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
I'll post along with pictures when I finish it so that everyone can see what I have done and give feedback.
Please do. My headliner is on my to do list this winter. I'd prefer vinyl rather than the fuzzy crap that just holds dog hair and drool, but every upholstery shop I've talked to around here won't do vinyl. I'm also going to add front and rear lights. Maybe even go Euro style rear-view mirror. Gotta find the PNs though...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Please do. My headliner is on my to do list this winter. I'd prefer vinyl rather than the fuzzy crap that just holds dog hair and drool, but every upholstery shop I've talked to around here won't do vinyl. I'm also going to add front and rear lights. Maybe even go Euro style rear-view mirror. Gotta find the PNs though...
euro mirror and bracket: (MTC6376,372336)
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

more lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Not to hijack the post but has anyone put a headliner in a Fiberglass top? I would like to add more interior lights too...
Mike,
I added a battery powered interior light to the fiberglass top. Battery last long enough. I think it was a Hella product.
Jim

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachyracer
I guess I'm not really helping *your* problem here (sorry), but how are you going to "redo" your headliner? I'm curious because we got our D90 POE with only a front headliner and that was all saggy, so I took it out. I still have it and was going to take it to a local vinyl top shop (cleverly called the Vinyl Top Shop) and see if they can help. My problem is the back part of it. I have no cardboard or whatever it is the fabric is stuck to.

Also, since this is a POE with an aluminum top, it has no factory roll bar over the back of the front seats. I'm figgering that I need to put in the headliner first, then have a roll bar fabbed up by somebody.

I was thinkin' about a LaSalle, but big bucks. Again, just curious what you're doing, and any suggestions on my issues.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete,
I had an interior panel fabbed for the Cessna cargo cover. I'll ask the int shop what they used. Has enough support to be a good backing material.
Jim
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
For what it's worth, I have a LaSalle in my 110. I have learned the benefit of having a fiberglass (non-fabric) headliner for any rig that is going to get used for anything other than kids and groceries. It's nice to know it can get dinged and won't tear, it can get wet and won't retain water, or leak in the passenger compartment.

I have loaded things like furniture/pipe/wood in the back of the 110, all banging off the LaSalle. if it would have been fabric it would have been damaged. Another nice thing is it is very easy to mount things to the fiberglass headliner (ie dome lights, nets, etc), and it will support the weight.
People kept saying that the LaSalle was fiberglass but I just assumed it was covered with fabric and it was just the "frame" if you will that was fiberglass. Are you saying it is hard to the touch and just made of gelcoated fiberglass?
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
euro mirror and bracket: (MTC6376,372336)
Right on! So the bracket attaches to the NAS headliner with no problem? Instead of the LR mirror, I was thinking of using an AutoDim/Compass/Temp mirror. That'd probably be problematic to attach to the LR bracket though...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
People kept saying that the LaSalle was fiberglass but I just assumed it was covered with fabric and it was just the "frame" if you will that was fiberglass. Are you saying it is hard to the touch and just made of gelcoated fiberglass?
That's my understanding of it as well.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Here are some pics: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&postcount=17

Is LaSalle still around?
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Yes, it is hard to the touch- no fabric. It has a splatter paint texture.

The LaSalle has the holes in it for mounting a Euro style mirror. Also, my 110 has the mounting holes in the frame for the euro mirror bracket in the windscreen frame overhead. Not sure if NAS 90's do.

I too have a auto dimming, temp/compass mirror mounted. it is currently fixed to my lasalle. I will be getting a euro style mirror and bracket soon, and attempting to mount the autodimming mirror to the euro mirror arm. I will post if I am successful.

The lasalle can be ordered with an integrated overhead stereo/cb port, as well as speaker mounts front and rear. I am quite pleased.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions