Headliner Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
willr
WILL RAGSDALE
NONE

Headliner Help

I need to replace my headliner in my 1985 110. Please let me know what options are available. There is not a lot of information out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
If you have one already a trim shop is likely to be able to recover / repair it.
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
willr
WILL RAGSDALE
NONE

Thanks

Yes, I have one in now, what is your opinion of the La Salle one piece units from the UK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I've heard they are pretty decent but shipping makes them expensive ... A trim shop would be able to make your's like new ... or better!
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Search t\he threads. Plenty of people have recovered them. I took mine out and had a shop recover it. One of the nicest things you can do to the inside of your truck
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

what are we talking ballpark to recover a 90's headliner?
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

1985; so you've probably got that funky brown fuzzy crap on the ceiling and the pillars.

What I did on my 84 pick up was to take all the pieces to a local trim shop. I had the ceiling done in grey headliner material and the pillar pieces done in matching grey vinyl. I'm very pleased with it and a year later it still looks great. I think the total was around $300 or so.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah for just the headliner in my truck I paid 200 but then of course I dynamatted the roof, put in new lights, and bought all new fasteners so I ended up spending much more.
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

Trim

Jason Do you know any shop around the city? I live in Brooklyn.

Thanks
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

There are a few products I have been researching to recover my 110's sagging headliner . If you have the time and space doing it yourself is easy and straightforward. take out he three separate sections (get a cheep interior button remover tool) remove the material that is already on it ( mine was 90% sagging off so it was easy) sand an clean surface to make sure you get good adhesion, by the best adhesive you can 3M super 90 (or one the headliner company's recommend that with stands heat and humidity and wont soak through and discolor the headliner material. I'm going with a Suede look. The First option and most expensive is Alcantata; then there is Synergy Suede, Ultra Suede, Passion Suede found here , http://www.miamicorp.com/products/HEADLINING.aspx they have a ton of options. raging from $130. / yard to $13./ yard
you must spray both surfaces and let them dry till tacky then you have one shot to make it right best to have a second set of hands holding the Material up and work in one direction so there are no wrinkles . If you use a foam backed material make sure the adhesive you use wont dissolve it. ) I'll post some before and after pictures when I'm done.
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I would find a upholstry shop, and show them what you need. Any product you find from RN etc is going to be mucho $

I had my seats re-foamed and re-covered for $350 (all 3), and they came out better than anything I would order from RN or any other supplier.

Not to be prejudice, but I found hispanic neighborhoods have great upholstry shops for jobs just like this!...honestly!

You should be able to find plenty of shops in Brookyln, but i bet there are even more in the BX.
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:03 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Lasalle headliner are good if you can live with the finish and the price.. It is, in my opinion, a rough finish and I think it could be a bit nicer. The price is high but not as high as the shipping. A complete headliner for my 110 was close to 800$ shipped. It makes no sense and you're better off with a retrim from a local shop. That's what I did.. Only needed the front one part as the two other parts (rear) are military plastic. Total cost 200$

JEff
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Chris, how did this turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
There are a few products I have been researching to recover my 110's sagging headliner . If you have the time and space doing it yourself is easy and straightforward. take out he three separate sections (get a cheep interior button remover tool) remove the material that is already on it ( mine was 90% sagging off so it was easy) sand an clean surface to make sure you get good adhesion, by the best adhesive you can 3M super 90 (or one the headliner company's recommend that with stands heat and humidity and wont soak through and discolor the headliner material. I'm going with a Suede look. The First option and most expensive is Alcantata; then there is Synergy Suede, Ultra Suede, Passion Suede found here , http://www.miamicorp.com/products/HEADLINING.aspx they have a ton of options. raging from $130. / yard to $13./ yard
you must spray both surfaces and let them dry till tacky then you have one shot to make it right best to have a second set of hands holding the Material up and work in one direction so there are no wrinkles . If you use a foam backed material make sure the adhesive you use wont dissolve it. ) I'll post some before and after pictures when I'm done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions