headliner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2004, 05:01 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
headliner

where do yall thin i could get a new headliner for my SW? George said he didnt have em.
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
or if any of yall have had issues with a saggy headliner how did you address them?
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:44 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Mine does, infact both are sagging. If George doesn't have them then you might have to try Rovers North or British Pacific and of course, your local dealer.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Phillip, try thatched roof garage. They import stuff from lasalle trim. They should be able to get what you want. I think their headliners are made different than genuine, and do not sag or come apart.
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:07 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

has any one here order any of the lasalle products?hows the quality?can you take pics
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:47 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Find a local upholsterer. When I needed a new headliner for my RR i took it to the most run down upholstery shop in town. They did it for $80 and looked better than new. Shop around I bet you can find a great deal. Many upholsterers are immagrents sp?who take take grat pride in there work. I also had both front seats of my disco reupholstered for $95 by the same guy. Other shops quoted me $400 for the same job. It pays to shop around.
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You have two real options Phil. I would not bother with price checking a genuine headliner. They are ridiculous and will only sag in another 3-4 years time or less. I think RN quoted me $500-700 just for the rear portion of the SW 90.

Kevin is right on. You can take it to an upholstry shop. Only concern I would have there, is that depending on their methods, your still going to have to deal with the headliner down the road. Remember, the genuine piece is little more than cardboard with foam and fabric all glued together.

I ordered a LaSalle piece from David at Thatched Roof for mine. It should show up at the shop sometime today. I'll take pics next time I see the truck for everyone, maybe this weekend if I can get the time to install it.

Essentially, it's fiberglass. So no sag, and longer lasting. I think the cost for the entire headliner was $320.

So, I would say depending on how long you plan to keep that thing, you can squeeze by with getting it upholstered now, or replace it with somethign that will last indefinitely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:16 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

My headliner sags over the Alpine windows and the fabric was seperating from the felt(?) liner. I took it an upholstery shop and they reglued the fabric, and they used Velcro glued to the area over the window and the headliner to stop the sag.

The fabric looks great but the Velcro doesnt hold the headliner up.
I was thinking about using using some sort of metal clip epoxyed to the metal roof that could be bent to hold the headliner. Maybe sort of a J shape.
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:39 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
cool i have looked at the Lasalle stuff I think that might be what i get, I may also take it to a uphoslstry shop and see what they can do. I will be looking for your photos.
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I used metal display rack pins from the hardware store to hold up my alpine window sag. Just cut them to fit. (three prongs on one end and a long bar that holds display merchandise on a rack.) I used 1/2 screws with big washers to lift the sagging fabric in other areas. I don't even think about it now, but someday when I want to do the soundproofing job, I'll go with a LaSalle.

Doug
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:33 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

hey Doug, it's a bit off the topic, but you mentioned using Teflon to lubricate the Mantec slider? Where did you resource the Teflon spray? Thanks

DJ
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
any bike shop should have it. TRI FLOW in the aerosol can or in a drip container choose your weapon. I think a teflon based greese would be perfect.
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Take your roof off and have it Rhinolined.

I did that on my CrewCab but now I think I want something up there that absorbs sound. Rhinolining doesn't (it actually reflects it quite well). But, it does insulate pretty well keeping the hot and cold out and the heat and cold in (respectively).

M
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

TriFlow. Bike shop, exactly, Phillip.
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Perfect! Thanks guys.

DJ
Old February 23rd, 2004, 06:49 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Little upholstry shops can do wonders...my friends dad owns one back home and i accidently ripped about 3 inches of the weather stripping off my soft top and he sewed it back up like brand new...unless you really look hard you cant even tell that it was ripped...i would say check out those little shops and see what they can do

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions