Headlights suddenly stopped working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2015, 02:05 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Headlights suddenly stopped working

I'm driving down the freeway, and the headlights, marker lights and dash board lights just turned off.

The marker lights still work with the switch in the middle position (marker lights only on), but as soon as I move the switch to the 3rd position, everything including the dash lights go out. BTW, the high beams will flash with the switch in the middle position.

What could it be? I've checked all fuses, and the fact that the high beams still work leads me to believe it's not the headlights.

What should I look for? What should I check/test? Truck is an'86 D110, V8.

Thank you.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Sounds like your switch is bad. Mine has gone out and I had to remove the bottom cover, under the steering column, and make a jumper wire where the light switch plugs in until replacing the switch.
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:02 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
X2. Same remedy. Mine went out on a twisty! Thank God for the 6 forward Hellas! ;-) New switch, wired right, never happened since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 08:00 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Man, just had this problem too. If you installed upgraded headlights (more wattage), then this is definitely the problem. Even if you didn't, from I've learned, the switch will go out eventually because full power is being routed through the switch (no relays).

Take out the main light switch, replace it, and put relays in for the headlights like the ARB M002 relay and wiring loom setup (plug and play).
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:17 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It could be the switch itself, to check just pull the switch...and unplug it. You'll see the wires on the back of the truck-side plug. Just jumper the brown wire (12v) to the blue wire, and then the red. Those are the headlights and marker lights. See if the headlights come on when you jumper it. If they do, switch is bad.

Other possibility is that it could be the dip-dim switch.

Lastly - and this is what it was for me when I had this issue back in October in the 1988 130. Some trucks in the 80s actually had a "dip-dim relay" installed. Some sort of archaic regulation in the UK, which was later done away with. Most people just bypass it, since the relay serves literally no purpose. My relay went out, and took me a bit to track down the issue so it's worth checking. It lives behind your dash binnacle, details here:
http://simkin.org/wordpress/?p=248
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:22 AM
javelinadave
-
-

That switch is the weakest link in the Defenders electrical system. Oh wait, the electrical system is the weakest link in the electrical system. After you swap it out get a relay controlled harness or LED headlights to remove the strain on it. You will have brighter lights and the switch should last much longer with milliamps running thru it instead of a full electrical load.
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:21 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
That switch is the weakest link in the Defenders electrical system. Oh wait, the electrical system is the weakest link in the electrical system. After you swap it out get a relay controlled harness or LED headlights to remove the strain on it. You will have brighter lights and the switch should last much longer with milliamps running thru it instead of a full electrical load.

Dave,

Are there pre-made harnesses available for this application, or are you referring to the typical 12V Bosch relay harness that I have to wire in?

Thanks - Samer

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2015 09:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
It could be the switch itself, to check just pull the switch...and unplug it. You'll see the wires on the back of the truck-side plug. Just jumper the brown wire (12v) to the blue wire, and then the red. Those are the headlights and marker lights. See if the headlights come on when you jumper it. If they do, switch is bad.

Other possibility is that it could be the dip-dim switch.

Lastly - and this is what it was for me when I had this issue back in October in the 1988 130. Some trucks in the 80s actually had a "dip-dim relay" installed. Some sort of archaic regulation in the UK, which was later done away with. Most people just bypass it, since the relay serves literally no purpose. My relay went out, and took me a bit to track down the issue so it's worth checking. It lives behind your dash binnacle, details here:

http://simkin.org/wordpress/?p=248

Jason,

Thank you for the tip on testing the switch and the link to the article. I will test the switch today, and report back.

Samer
Defenderless, for now!
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Samer,
ARB is one of many manufacturers who make a harness that will work or you can make your own using QUALITY relays.
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Dave,

Are there pre-made harnesses available for this application, or are you referring to the typical 12V Bosch relay harness that I have to wire in?

Thanks - Samer

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2015 09:25 AM ------

Jason,

Thank you for the tip on testing the switch and the link to the article. I will test the switch today, and report back.

Samer
Samer:

DEFINITELY do some testing before you start throwing parts at it...I made that mistake and was convinced it was the dip-dim switch (which, based on my testing it was - I just was unaware of this "dip-dim relay" potentially being a factor). So I ended up with a brand new dip-dim that I didn't need. My situation was a little different like I said, but worth a time investment on your end.

Also, if you do have interest in an ARB harness I *may* have one to part with. Regardless, it is plug-and-play and takes the "switch" out of the equation and adds relays for the headlights.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 25th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

You need a new headlight switch and this ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Relay-Har...0c2cc8&vxp=mtr

Be sure to get one with ceramic head lamp connectors because plastic units melt
Old January 25th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

Wow, That harness is cheap!!!
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:12 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Jason: Definitely interested in the ARB harness. Please let me know.
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:05 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Posting a follow up to my problem. Replaced the headlight switch with a new one, and everything is working again. About to upgrade the wiring to the ARB harness I bought from Jason.
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:15 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
You'll notice a significant improvement once you have the new harness in place. Lights are brighter, high beams flick on quicker, and you might have an oncoming car flick their high beams at you thinking yours are on (yeah ok, not likely)
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:27 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
So, after successfully replacing the main light switch with a new one, and checking that everything was working, I upgraded the wiring harness to an ARB harness that I bought, and I now am faced with a new set of issues:

1) When I turn the lights on (with main switch), they come on in the high beam mode.
2) If I push the turn signal/high-low beam stalk forward to the high beam position, the lights go into low beam mode.
3) If I use the same stalk to flash the high beams, nothing happens (because they're already in the high beam position"!

Isn't the ARB harness supposed to work with the Defenders right out of the box, so to speak? I know I wired it correctly, it was child's play, straight forward!

Any clues as to what might be happening?
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:51 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
They were already plugged in. I didn't check or move them.
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
From what I've read (in the ARB pdf), the relays need to be plugged into the harness in a particular order/spot. Could you have switched the high & low relays? It says something like "relay 2 and 3 switch the high and low beam respectively".

The other thing - though honestly I'm not sure why or if this would have any bearing - but did you look behind the dash binnacle to see if you have the "dip-dim relay" that I alluded to in post #5 above? Again, just curious if that is still in the circuit (in the event that it may be causing an issue...though I highly doubt it).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 11th, 2015, 10:58 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Headlights suddenly stopped working

Jason. I didn't touch the relays, I installed the harness as it came from you. I will have to check them tomorrow.

That'll be a PITA, since I installed them and 3 other relays in a nice covered enclosure in the engine bay!

N.B. I don't have the dip dim relay mentioned in your post earlier.
Defenderless, for now!
Old February 11th, 2015, 11:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Jason. I didn't touch the relays, I installed the harness as it came from you. I will have to check them tomorrow.

That'll be a PITA, since I installed them and 3 other relays in a nice covered enclosure in the engine bay!

N.B. I don't have the dip dim relay mentioned in your post earlier.
May be worth "double checking"....it is brand new in the box (i.e. nothing was touched), but not to say that ARB couldn't make a mistake when things were plugged in/etc (assuming that if the relays were switched that could cause an issue - which I'm just hypothesizing about).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 11th, 2015, 11:28 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Samer,
If you successfully tested all the switch functions before you installed the harness and you are now having issues the harness is jacked up. There is no way that it shouldn't work. You are supposed to be getting the signals to the relays from one of the original headlight plugs. If they are activating something else the harness (relay(s)) isn't correct. Call ARB and they will help you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, top