Defender Source Forum banner

headlights stuck on

Tags
ht lights
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  andyrad 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went wheeling for the first time in the new to me D90. Nothing tough, just trying to get a feel for what it can and can't do. I noticed the engine got quite hot quickly when crawling along in low range. I figured aluminum would do that but it also cooled down quick. It didn't quite make it into the red. The truck otherwise ran fine.

My problem was today when I went to go to work, the battery was stone cold dead. I thought the CB was on all night but a CB won't drain a yellow top Optima. So I jump it and off to work I go. The engine felt like it was chugging or missing at 2200 to 2500 RPM in second third and fourth gear. Didn't do that on the way home from wheeling yesterday. Then when I went to leave work the battery was stone dead again. As soon as the jumper cable was hooked up the headlights came on. I didn't even have the key in the ignition. My headlights are stuck on. I'm not sure if it's the Canadian daytime running lights module or something else. The tail lights were not stuck on. On any vehicle I've owned when daytime running lights are on the tail lights are usually off. Does any one have any suggestions? Where is the daytime running light module. US vehicles probably don't have one. I am viewed as wierd in the states because my headlights are always on. The fact is we can't turn them off unless we shut off the engine. Stupid Canadian Laws.

The vehicle in question is a '94 D90 nas soft top 3.9 V8 5 speed no air

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a relay next to the fuse box in the cab. I don't remember which one it is though. I have a CDN 90 and I have not had that relay pulged in since I have had the 90. I would just start pulling relays until the lights went out, you're not going to hurt anything by doing that.

#3 ·
Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot. Last night when I got home from work I just pulled all four headlight fuses. Now any ideas on that engine problem. Between 2200 and 2500 rpm it seemms to chug or miss or lag or something like that. It only started doing it yesterday. The day after wheeling but it did not do it on the way home from wheeling. Could it be realated to the electrical and the battery being not so great for the time being?

#5 ·
I would do as advised .... see if its doesn't sort itself out.
But I wanted to throw in this; I had the missing at certain RPMs, it ended up being the throttle positioning sensor. My problem was more "missing at certain throttle positions". The TPS is opposite the throttle lever on the plenum....anyway you can easily remove and test this with a circuit tester. Find the 2 leads that advance your tester as you turn the "lever" (of course disconnected from your car)
My bad one had a big dead spot, as you advanced it skipped a spot and shorted. If it works properly there is a nice smooth needle rise as you turn it.......
I was told this is the input for the computer as to what your gas pedal is doing....

Just a thought, but....this advice is worth less than what you paid for it.......

#6 ·
I yanked the relay and now my rig looks like a US model, NO DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS!!!!For some unknown reason it has temporarily fixed the missing problem too. I heard the electrics in these things were touchy but had no idea headlights would affect engine. We'll wait a week and see if anything changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.