Headlights burning out.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Headlights burning out..

So the end of last week I was coming home and my DS low beam went out no big deal dont drive much at night. Leave out Monday am the PS low beam goes out. Okay so I have high beams only now. Time to really get going on the Hella lighting upgrade. Tonight I get in the truck and the PS high beam goes out so now Im just left with the DS high beam and Hella 4000's to get home on. Question is this, when headlights burn out do they tend to go like this one at a time from voltage irregularities, or do I have some more major to be considering. I might try those Hella E-Codes ive read so much about... Thanks for yall help.
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Its hard to tell about the lights. It could be a coincidence or possibly something else. Have you had any other recent electrical problems? Not sure, but could this be caused by a bad voltage regulator?

As for the E-codes, GET THEM! They are great & definitely worth the extra cost!
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sounds like maybe the light switch is going bad.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I thought so but I figured they are just wearing out. As far as the light switch you mean the little one on the lower of the steering colum or the multidirectional horn blinkers etc? No electrical problems to speak of but ive had a run in with a shady independent shop.
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I thought so but I figured they are just wearing out. As far as the light switch you mean the little one on the lower of the steering colum or the multidirectional horn blinkers etc? No electrical problems to speak of but ive had a run in with a shady independent shop.
It's easy enough to rule out the switch.

Simply disassemble the column facia and remove the switch. The facia has four main fasteners, located on the under-side of the column, and one single at the base. The switch is affixed to the column by a washer-sized nut. Remove this and unplug the switch from the harness. With the switch removed inspect the interior. If the contacts have recessed into the molding - or are begining to - then the switch needs to be replaced.

It appears to be a common issue. I've already changed out two in my eight-year ownership and carry a spare. Conversely, if you're in a difficult situation and don't have a spare you can always remove the switch and permently splice the leads together. Cut all three wires just before the switch. Unplug the switch harness from the main and splice the leads together. Your headlights are now at the mercy of the harness connection and should be adequate until you can get another switch. Just remember to remove the plug to turn the lamps off.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
DJ, do you run a headlight harness? I've never had to change out my switch and I attribute it to running an aftermarket harness that takes the voltage away from the switch contacts.
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks, I have been looking into the wiring harness upgrade. Ill look at the switch. I did order some E-Codes and a rear worklamp today from Susquehanna. I yeah and the man pulled me over for having only one headlight. I have noticed that switch is really loose and has some play ever since I had some hellas wired up. Do tell about the aftermarket headlight wiring harness I asked John Lee once about the ARB he has, but he never replied.
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
DJ, do you run a headlight harness? I've never had to change out my switch and I attribute it to running an aftermarket harness that takes the voltage away from the switch contacts.
Sadly, no. I've entertained the idea, but usually find that swapping the switch fits my sloth-like lifestyle. Did you fab the harness yourself or did you pick up a kit?

Dj
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The switch and contacts look fine? I took it apart, I wish I could take a photo and post it.

How do I remove the headlights? I took the bezel surround off, lots of mud behind that thing.
THere are the headlight "bucket" is held in by 5 or 6 phillips screws. Which ones should be removed to get the headlight out looks complicated in there.
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Removing Lamps

Rover - There is only one screw holding the light assembly in place (around 4 o'clock I think) - you can tell because it screws into a longer plastic receptacle. simply unscrew this and then rotate the lamp counterclockwise to release it from the 2 screws holding the lamp by its 'grooves'. You will want to loosen these 2 screws a few turns to make enable the lamp to rotate. Sounds more complicated than it is. I took all 5 screws off the first time before realizing that this was not necessary to remove the lamp.

Cheers,

Jason
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What screws aim the light?
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
DJ, I picked up a kit. I might have an extra harness for this lying around you can have. Let me check the boxes tonight if you're interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights