Headlight Wiring Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2017, 06:28 PM
ShoreRover
Brandon Sherwood
'91 110 5dr

Headlight Wiring Help

Need a little help with wiring ups set of headlights, I thought it was going to be 123 but once taking out the old headlight I am left scratching my head with how this was rigged. It doesn't even look like they used the existing headlight. They wired in a secondary bulb that is tied to the upper side light. I will try to upload a video of what is there but any help would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2017, 06:38 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sometimes it's better to rip out the SPOT and replace. This is a great opportunity to upgrade your headlight wiring harness to include a relay.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:59 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Sounds like they are running the headlight off the running light circut . It's two different fuses .

I'd trace the correct wire for the headlamp hi and low (two separate circuts) and make sure the have continuity to the fuse box.

Then remove the hack job and either install new lamps or run relays . Relays are suggested as they will prolong the life of your lighting switch , they suck .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2017, 07:52 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Could be an attempt at a city light, required in some regions abroad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:32 PM
ShoreRover
Brandon Sherwood
'91 110 5dr

Thanks for the help, first I'm hearing of this city light setup but so be it. Will look to cut out most of the rat nest and replace. Does anybody have a good field guide with pictures, most wiring diagrams make my head hurt. And how involved is it to run the relays.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:32 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Susquehanna Motor Sports makes a plug and play harness that plugs into the headlight plug, which routes back to the battery, then to a relay and back to the headlights- gets full power to headlights via a relay- nice improvement in performance and safety. In other words it makes your existing switch activate headlights via a relay with direct battery power.
Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:11 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Red Bison makes one as well

Installed pretty easily, I ran a weatherpack 2 prong back to the port side bullet connectors (I think that marks the last of the bullet style connectors on my vehicle) then the positive terminal back to the battery (you can install on the starter post as well but this was just cleaner).

Hard to go wrong with these, mine had to run over the radiator support to make it to the other headlight. I just secured it with a handful of zip ties.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, wiring