Headlight upgrade - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2013, 02:34 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Another consideration; snow.

I do occasionally drive in snow at night.
LED's don't make enough heat to keep the snow and ice off, do they?

The Range Rover Classic has heated headlight washers but that might be something to consider on the Defender.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2013, 02:52 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
A post on another forum from Truck-Lite last year:

Hi everyone,
I'm glad to see the great response to the lights, and I'll try to answer some of the open questions here. The feedback is wonderful, and we discuss everything internally to try and help with any concerns or education.

SNOW: Snow build-up on the lens is something we have a lot of practice and experience with here in NY, as our office is located within a "snow belt". These lamps produce a great deal of heat, but it's pushed out to the back of the lamp, not toward the front at the lens. That means that the lens will not get warm enough to "melt" snow. Whereas traditional lenses create heat and melt falling snow, they also create moisture on the lamp surface, which collects more snow, and packs it on as it stays heated. With a lens surface that's cooler, it's much harder for snow to collect on the lamp. If a dusting were ever to collect, the white light cuts through it better, and it can be wiped off by hand. We've been very happy with the winter performance in our own experiences.

FLICKERING: The issue with PWM that we've heard about varies in intensity, and is something hard fix within the lamp itself. Any "in-line" resistors or regulators are likely going to be less-than-lifetime electronics, which have the potential to fail before the lamp ever would. We're looking to test a couple aftermarket harness options to suggest for those concerned, but we have to test them before offering them as a proven suggestion. If all vehicles were created the same, it might be easier to fix this. Even so, we're trying to find the best option available to offer those with issues.

INSTALLATION FIT: Installation is simple for 7" round retrofits. The lamp utilizes the same bucket and retaining rings of standard SAE-specified lamps.

LIGHT PATTERN: The pattern of this lamp is much smoother than the previous generation of Truck-Lite headlamps, and offers a smoother spread across the road. We'll try to post new shots as soon as the weather here permits, including installed lamps and images against a wall.

If there is anything else that I can help provide, let me know, and I'll see what we can get together. The feedback is great, and we really appreciate any concerns or questions.

Thanks everyone,
Jerry Lee
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:14 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
The JW Speaker LED's are a great product, although the high beam leaves a bit to be desired and the price tag is quite steep for most. You really get what you pay for with the LED stuff. As for a standard incandescent, I've had positive experiences with the Wipac crystal housing and a Hella 55/100 bulbs.

I'm fitting these bi-xenon projectors in a 7" housing to run in my 110. These in conjunction with a Baja Designs light bar will provide more than enough light.
Ash, do you have JW Speaker 7" LEDs on your vehicle? I have their 70mm LEDs over the rest of my truck (corner/turn/tail/stop/reverse/fog) and I've been very happy with all those(*). They are stupid expensive usually but since i'm not paying retail they were a great deal. Because of this, I've been idly considering the headlights too.

The snow-related post above is very interesting. I was quite concerned about this with my stop/tail lamps, but never noticed it to be a problem last year. However, I'm still not quite convinced that LED headlights are going to stay visible after driving into a wet snowstorm for 20 minutes or so.

(*) I wish my corner marker lights were brighter. I might switch them out for the DRL variant that has a higher-power mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Ash, do you have JW Speaker 7" LEDs on your vehicle? I have their 70mm LEDs over the rest of my truck (corner/turn/tail/stop/reverse/fog) and I've been very happy with all those(*). They are stupid expensive usually but since i'm not paying retail they were a great deal. Because of this, I've been idly considering the headlights too.

The snow-related post above is very interesting. I was quite concerned about this with my stop/tail lamps, but never noticed it to be a problem last year. However, I'm still not quite convinced that LED headlights are going to stay visible after driving into a wet snowstorm for 20 minutes or so.

(*) I wish my corner marker lights were brighter. I might switch them out for the DRL variant that has a higher-power mode.
I don't, although one of my customers has them fitted to his 90 and I recently did a 5 hour night trip in it. Overall I was pretty satisfied with them...the cutoff was clean and they threw plenty of light. My only complaint about the high beam was that it's just a marginal increase in light output over the low beam, but most of us are running auxiliary lights so it's not a major issue. They do have a great look to them and are a nice touch to the right truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

Old October 31st, 2013, 07:45 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I have the Truck Lite LEDs. They work great no flickering. And I think they don't take away from the "styling" at all. I don't think they really stand out that much.

Old October 31st, 2013, 08:45 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I already posted this but I don't where where the post went, so...

Here's a photo I found today that reminded me of this thread. This one's for those of you who don't understand what snow has to do with headlight choice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0774.NEF.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	83229  
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:36 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
I already posted this but I don't where where the post went, so...

Here's a photo I found today that reminded me of this thread. This one's for those of you who don't understand what snow has to do with headlight choice
Looks like those headlights attract snow
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:50 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Looks like those headlights attract snow
Time to invest in a heated windshield?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:56 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Here are my Truck Lite LEDs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	83237   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	83238  

Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Those are the new gen 7 ones right?

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Truck lite is going to have to come up with lights that have heating elements fitting in. Otherwise they are doa in snow coutry

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

That is the only reason I am not installing them on my 90. The LED street lights around here have little shields above each lamp and they still turn white and you are unable to see the signal when we get a sticky snow.

I can only imagine what they are like when driving forward with nothing to shield them.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
Those are the new gen 7 ones right?
Yes they are.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Perhaps those in snow country could wire in the heated windshield fluid system from certain GM products?
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:33 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Anyone see a need to run a separate relay system to power LED headlamps? I have the ARB/IPF relay sitting here and dont know ifs really needed with the Trucklite Phase 7s.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:41 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

This is how my P7 truckles are wired up - basically i was too lazy to remove the relay system and thought - direct power is better anyway. Plus the plugs match up correctly so there is nothing to cut or modify and it gets the load (Negligible wight he LEDs?) off the headlight switch.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Perhaps those in snow country could wire in the heated windshield fluid system from certain GM products?
You mean like Range Rover Classics already had?

Rent my
!
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:49 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
This is how my P7 truckles are wired up - basically i was too lazy to remove the relay system and thought - direct power is better anyway. Plus the plugs match up correctly so there is nothing to cut or modify and it gets the load (Negligible wight he LEDs?) off the headlight switch.
Ok, thanks. Good to know about the connectors. Do you have any flickering?

------ Follow up post added February 27th, 2014 07:52 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
You mean like Range Rover Classics already had? .
Didnt know that, hmmmm.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
You mean like Range Rover Classics already had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post

Didnt know that, hmmmm.
Oh yeah, along with the heated squirters, we get a heated windscreen and heated front doorlocks!

Rent my
!
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
...And heated rearview mirrors and heated seats.

None of which work.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions