Headlight Upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Headlight Upgrade

My headlights are stock on my 97 D90. They are pretty awful when driving at night. Suggestions for the best headlight upgrade???? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I went with the IPF's from Expedition Exchange with the IPF bulbs

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hella H4's myself, with the E-code lens. Also look into upgrading the wiring harness if you put any higher wattage bulbs in there, or you could end up melting the light switch.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Some people feel the Hella E-Codes have a thinner Glass Lenses, and crack more easily from temperature changes like submerging them when hot. The IPF's are suppose to have a thicker, more resilient lenses. I've run the e-code Hella's for years without issue, but that is just my experience.

Either way do yourself a favor and put a headlamp harness in, even if you only intend to run stock wattage bulbs.

Old July 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

thanks, thoughts on these.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=136
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The first step is to upgrade the wiring. Expedition Exchange has a kit. There is also a DIY way to do it in the small projects section of this website. I have been meaning to do this but I have not had the chance.
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Some people feel the Hella E-Codes have a thinner Glass Lenses, and crack more easily from temperature changes like submerging them when hot. The IPF's are suppose to have a thicker, more resilient lenses. I've run the e-code Hella's for years without issue, but that is just my experience.

Either way do yourself a favor and put a headlamp harness in, even if you only intend to run stock wattage bulbs.
The above is true, I have two broken hella e-codes on my truck. One by rocks one by cracks.
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I replaced my Headlights with H4's with the E-code lens and then bought a Bi-Xenon kit off ebay and installed that into the new headlights. They are extremely bright now, draw less power, should last a whole lot longer than conventional Halogen bulbs and with the Bi-Xenon kit they are true Xenon lights with the low or high beams on. I think the whole deal cost about $150!
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin8ty
Go with the E-Codes. They are not technically DOT approved, but they provide much better lighting, and do not offend oncoming drivers the least bit more than a DOT headlamp. ARB makes a ready made harness (Per Ron's Suggestion) and Expedition Exchange sells both the HElla E-Codes, and the IPF Ecode replacement lamps as well as the harness. Its one of the best bang for the buck upgrades you can make..

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I replaced my headlights with crystal headlights that have a plain plastic lens with the reflector moulded to provide beam correction, with a pair of good quality H4's.
that made a hell of a difference.

Gren
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

For what it is worth, I replaced mine with the Hella H4 and put 80 watt low and 100 watt high bulbs into the lamps. The light (while not DOT approved for on road use) is bright and white and properly adjusted they have never been an issue for on coming drivers. Honestly they are far less annoying than many of the HID lights out there today. This does require a relay (worth doing anyway as the headlight switch is designed such that any significant wattage will eventually burn the contact out) and a wiring harness. It was an easy swap out and made a profound difference to night time driving all while retaining a very stock look and feel. These are available many places including EE and RN etc. My two cents.
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I replaced my Headlights with H4's with the E-code lens and then bought a Bi-Xenon kit off ebay and installed that into the new headlights. They are extremely bright now, draw less power, should last a whole lot longer than conventional Halogen bulbs and with the Bi-Xenon kit they are true Xenon lights with the low or high beams on. I think the whole deal cost about $150!

Sounds cool. Write up?

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
How's that working out? I would think that it would create an awful amount of glare for oncoming drivers, and pretty underwhelming overall results from the standpoints of the actual lighting pattern and cutoffs. I've always heard and
read that this is just a bad idea with headlamp housings designed for halogen bulbs, from a number of aspects (legal issues aside).

As a side note, Sylvania actually had 7" round replacement headlamps years ago that used an HID low beam and Halogen high beam. A 7" round headlamp truly designed for an HID bulb capsule. Unfortunately they stopped making them a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526
Sounds cool. Write up?
You may want to try a simple E-Code Headlamp, quality bulb and wiring harness first, I suspect you will ultimately have better usable light output, and less trouble with oncoming drivers. I run the 80/100 watt bulbs with a wiring harness in E-Code Hellas and everyone who's been in the truck at night comments on how great the lightning is, and despite the height of the truck, I rarely ever have anyone flash me...

Old July 29th, 2009, 02:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
What/where did you get all this stuff?
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

The Hellas with the bi-xenon kit sounds great. Can someone elaborate on some specifics. Which kit works, there are dozens of choices.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...w=bi-xenon+kit
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Okay, going to tackle my first small mod on the truck. Basically Im looking for someones blessing on this. For the headlights im going to attempt the bi-xenon hid conversion. So....If i buy these

http://www.carparts.com/Headlight-Co...6_N__10618.car round

and the kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_5425wt_1125

is that all i should need? Also what temperature would you guys recommend 4300 or 6000? Thanks in advance.
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Sorry, I owe some pictures too, but I haven't had a chance to take them or get back to people. They are working great although I haven't been driving the truck, they haven't given me any problems at all when I have used it and they are considerably brighter than the stock ones.

The E-code lights are really nice because you don't really need light shining up in the trees anyway, and they cut up on the right side to illuminate street signs, which is very useful.

Ron, I bought them on ebay.

Cliff, I have installed different kits in a number of cars and two motorcycles, and I think I have only bought two sets from the same seller. I believe I have installed a set from the seller you linked to even. I would recommend the 4300k (OEM for most manufacturers) as they give the most visible light, but it is up to you if you prefer the color of the 6000k. Any higher temps start to get really purple and emit considerably less visible light.

Those are NOT the Hellas that you want though! Those are sealed beams, which means, like the stock ones, you can not remove the bulb from the housing. You want the 7" round H4 Hellas. You need to specify that you want the H4 bulb base when you order the BiXenon's as well.
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin8ty
Okay, going to tackle my first small mod on the truck. Basically Im looking for someones blessing on this. For the headlights im going to attempt the bi-xenon hid conversion. So....If i buy these

http://www.carparts.com/Headlight-Co...6_N__10618.car round

and the kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_5425wt_1125

is that all i should need? Also what temperature would you guys recommend 4300 or 6000? Thanks in advance.
6000 is pretty close to daylight (5500k). It might appear more on the "bluish" side to you compared to halogen's. I think most factory HID's are around 5-6k)

4300k tend to be brighter, but don't have that "blue tinge" look the ricers are so fond of.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Made the decision. Although the xenons would be cool, I spoke with a guy from Susquehanna and he said in new york i would have problems getting pulled over for them. 6k fine, take the truck, basically a big pain in the ass. He recommened this set up.

H6024
H6024 7" Round E-code Hi-Lo Conversion Headlamp Kit.
Choose H4 Bulbs : H6024H 70/65W Osram Hyper

He said you will see a drastic improvement and still get the look of xenon. It seems they really know their stuff.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

From what I recall of the wiring diagram & relays in the console, the 1997's already comes with headlight relays. I don't think this is the case for the '94's and 95's. With all the wiring bug-a-boo's, I feel this is one reason why BMW (then owner of LR) did not ship any D90's to NA in 1996.

Dennis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht