HeadLight switch power? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2012, 02:58 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
HeadLight switch power?

Hi guys, i get my stalling figured out & now thelights went out. Read threads, checked all fuses, & it comes down to no power to the brown wire on the light switch. I jumped power from my auxillary lights to the brown wire & everything works perfect. So where does the brown wire get its power? From the starter? Just would like some input before i tear the dash apart etc Any help is always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I just upgraded to the ARB harness. Takes power from the battery instead of the harness. Do a search.

Robert Deniro
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Jeff, the switch is good. Just no power (brown wire) to it. I checked power w/a tester & nothing. I jumped power from the battery to the brown wire & it all works, switches fine etc. neil, i the arb an entire harness for the truck?

------ Follow up post added December 20th, 2012 02:44 PM ------

Duh, the arb is the lighting harness...

------ Follow up post added December 20th, 2012 02:44 PM ------

And the switch was replaced last summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
open the switch up (or just take it out of the steering column). and look at the (soldered looking) contacts. I left my headlights on awhile ago, and it arc'd this essentially melting the two together. I just broke the contact that had formed between the two and it worked - but I got lucky.

Also the other thing (that Charles Galpin had issue with recently) is that it may not be the headlight switch but rather the dip/dim switch that goes bad and causes the lights not to work.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We crossed posts, reading what you said above now...have you REALLY checked the fuses? Test light on both sides of the fuse while it's in place? Or did you just "look" at it? Make sure power is going across the fuse (just touch a test light to the outside of the fuse on the little testing prongs). The other thing - that happened to me once - was the fuse when pushed in sits into two female receptacles. I had one of these push out of the back of the fuse panel, and thought it was making contact but obviously was not.

That said, in the 110 I actually had a similar issue. Was getting power at the fuse panel, but none at the switch. Ran a new (larger gauge than standard) wire from the fuse panel to the switch and has been fine ever since.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
no i just pulled the fuses. is the brown wire powering to the switch have a fuse in it from the power source to the switch? it is the brown wiring going to the switch with no power. i jumped power into the brown wire and everything works normal, highs, lows and park lights, everything works now. but, i need to know why the brown wire went dead all of a sudden.
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
excuse they the fact that: a) it has writing on it, b) its for a Tdi, c) i can't remember off the top of my head if the nas is different (and I have one)....

but there should be a fuse upstream of the brown wire.

did you check the maxi fuses in the engine compartment? i *think* one of those is for lights, and probably/possibly where the brown wire originates from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages from 300Tdi_electrics-1.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	63097  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
but, i need to know why the brown wire went dead all of a sudden.
But again just to reiterate, this DID happen to me....I had power at the maxi fuse but no power at the switch. I ran another lead from the maxi and all has worked fine since (its been a year).

if you do swap in another wire either: a) try to use the same color (brown), or b) label the originating and terminating end with some vinyl tape and marker (so the next poor sap that gets your truck if you ever sell it will know what you did).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 20th, 2012, 04:52 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
so somewhere in the dash is a fuse for that brown wire? the maxi fuse is good and since i spliced power in from the battery and everything works normal now, something died between the battery, up the brown wire and to the switch. does anyone know where the brown wire comes from? i saw where it goes into the loom and probably goes to the starter somewhere? and somewhere along that line is a fuse?

jason, i did read all your threads from last year and that is where i actually started when i went looking for the culprit.
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
in my workshop manual on my computer it looks like the brown goes to the start realy and starter solenoid. if the relay was bad, i assume i would be having starting problems. i does not look like there is a fuse though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, switch