Headlight relay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Rico Palomino
1995 D90 SW #001
Headlight relay

Headlights went out lastnight at 0130hrs on a counrty road. Used a flashlight out the window to make it home. Mrker lights work at halfway position but go out when pushed all the way forward. Brights work when pull the flasher on the turn signal arm. I figured its the infamous headlight switch that went out.
I ordered a new one but did not find anything about the ARB relay that everyone recomends.
Were can I order the relay from?

1995 D90 #001

Old June 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Tony Sims
1984 110
It's an ARB harness with relays, that takes the load off the switch and prevents a recurrence of this problem, as well as giving you brighter lights.

You can also make your own, equally effective and much cheaper. Search the forum for "ARB headlight harness" and you'll find info.

[appropriated from Ren Ching] Most faults can usually be traced to the badge on the grill.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM
David Short
1980 Stage One 109
Double check that your headlight dip/dim stalk is not bad. I had this exact problem (symptons) on my Series and it was the dip/dim stalk. (I also used a flashlight out the window to get home - LOL)
1980 Stage One 109
Sterling, VA
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
If you end up making your own, Ive got the ARB diagrams and a kustom drawn schematic of their harness. Its not hard, but if you dont like fiddeling with wiring, the ARB unit is a 'plug and play' set up.

Old June 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
2005 Disco 3
so is the Susquehanna motor sports version, very easy install (so I'm told) http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1247
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Definately sounds like the switch to me, I installed an HID kit with seperate ballasts to solve my issue. So far they work, switch hasn't burnt out yet but its only been like 2 weeks so we shall see. Do yourself a favor though, they are only like 14 buck each for the switch be sure to buy 2 of them and keep one as a spare lol. Anyway, HID is cool, xenon bulbs are super bright!

A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ht, relay