Headlight HID Conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 4th, 2007, 12:15 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Headlight HID Conversion

Hey guys. Anyone out there found a kit yet for changing out D90 H4 lights to HID's? I know it's not going to be a cheap mod, but it would be a nice one.

Most of what I have found out there is "HID style" plasma bulbs. Nice, but not the full meal deal I'm searching for.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Done

I am looking to change the kit though as the one installed occasionally fails to ignite on the first flip of the switch. It is really worth coughing up the extra $$ for the legit Hella/Phillips stuff.

Check Ebay, there are kits all over on there.

BTW, the best ones are the 4300K - don't fall for the higher temp garbage that the ricers like to put into the civics. The 4300K is what BMW/Audi/MB et al use b/c it gives the most visible light. Higher temps give off light that the human eye can't even see (I guess that purple look is cool to some people though).
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I feel like I'm baking the necks of the people infront of me at a light with the H4 Hellas, I can't imagine how bad it would be with the HIDs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38
Hey guys. Anyone out there found a kit yet for changing out D90 H4 lights to HID's? I know it's not going to be a cheap mod, but it would be a nice one.

Most of what I have found out there is "HID style" plasma bulbs. Nice, but not the full meal deal I'm searching for.

thanks!
Hey Scott,

I'm not really sure it is worth it to go over to HIDs in your Defender, but that being said, don't get drawn into the kits that replace the bulb in a standard headlamp housing. They are usually poor quality at best, and because the placement of the filament within the reflector assembly is so critical to the light pattern produced, they generally end up producing less useful, less defined lighting patterns that scatter light and glare to oncoming drivers with little benefit to you.

Sylvania had, at one time, an HID conversion kit that consisted of the entire 7" round headlamp assembly, and would be the only correct way to convert to HID (in my opinion), since the headlamp housing/reflector/lenses was properly designed for the HID bulb used in it. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find any info in a quick Google search, and I'm pretty sure Sylvania stopped making the kits a few years ago.

Have you tried a good 7" round e-code headlamp housing (IPF, Hella, Cibie), with a quality higher wattage bulb and IPF or similar headlamp wiring harness? In my opinion this is a pretty incredible upgrade, and provides excellent lighting. Something else to consider with HIDs is that the higher color temperature is generally less effective in lighting the road under adverse weather conditions like rain, snow and fog. For whatever reason the 'cooler' color temperature lighting is better dispersed and therefore lost than the 'warmer' light thrown by halogens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Hey Scott,

I'm not really sure it is worth it to go over to HIDs in your Defender, but that being said, don't get drawn into the kits that replace the bulb in a standard headlamp housing. They are usually poor quality at best, and because the placement of the filament within the reflector assembly is so critical to the light pattern produced, they generally end up producing less useful, less defined lighting patterns that scatter light and glare to oncoming drivers with little benefit to you.
This is true. I did not buy one specifically for HIDs per se but I went with an E-code assy because it does have that distinct cut-off so as not to blind oncoming traffic. I have not had the truck on the road and aligned etc. but I have wired them up and looked at them in the shop. They sure are bright and the pattern on the wall leaves me confident that this solution will work great.

I have never seen the Sylvania kit but Hella offers "Modules" which are basically just a universal focusing assy which would be perfect for this and I am sure can be adapted if you choose. That being said, I think my solution of putting the HID bulb into an E-code assy works great. BTW, I went with the Bi-Xenon kit so that the high & low beams are both Xenon.

Also, there is someone selling adapters to mount D2R/D2S bulbs in other housings. The OEM Hella kits use D2R/D2S bulbs so you would need to get the adapters to put these in a H4 housing. Otherwise you have to go with the "lesser" kits. I would recommend biting the bullet and going for the Hella/Phillips kits.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
karlusmagnus
Karl O'Donoghue
71SiiA

daniel stern lighting

I have found Daniel Stern, to be of great help with regard to all matters lighting etc.
He is a great guy, and while I cannot speak of D90's, he has advised me (and sold me bulbs) for the rover as well giving sound advice on the porsche and bmw.
His site is here ->
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
email him once you have read thru it, if it interests you. He knows his stuff.
Hope this helps.
Karl.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've done the E-code H4 upgrade in the past on my '67 Bronco. Soon to do it on my Defender if it doesn't break for a while.

The difference really needs to be seen to be believed. Low beams are brighter and give better coverage. High beams are just incredible. And that's without even upgrading past the basic bulbs that are included.

If you do up the bulb wattage at all, a relay is a must, or you'll melt the dashboard switch in no-time.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Anyone have a source (other than Stern) for the e-code lights? I've used those on other vehicles in the past, and for a non-HID setup, they're pretty remarkable.....
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

www.rallylights.com has the Hella H4 7" housings, with a pretty wide choice of bulbs.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/7in.asp
all the #6024 series are the H4 E-code bulbs.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
www.rallylights.com has the Hella H4 7" housings, with a pretty wide choice of bulbs.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/7in.asp
all the #6024 series are the H4 E-code bulbs.
Thanks for the reply. They've got pretty good pricing too!

Do you have an oponion on which bulbs would be best?
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Right now I am actually running Hella H4 lenses with PIAA Extreme White bulbs. Did the swap a couple years back and it was a hell of an improvement. But I would think that taking the next step to HID would be another similar jump.

I was driving an Audi Allroad for a couple nights last week and was amazed with the headlights. Keep thinking I want to have a similar set up.

I figured the HID bulb retrofit into an H4 lens would be a cheap and unfulfilling bandaid...the search continues
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
DaineseUSA
Michael Pham
97 d90 SW #0273

is there anyone that makes a 7in projector headlamp?
I have never found one, but would love to convert to HID if I could get the beam of a projector.

M>
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
http://www.lightlens.net/headlights.htm M091080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaineseUSA
is there anyone that makes a 7in projector headlamp?
I have never found one, but would love to convert to HID if I could get the beam of a projector.

M>
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Yeah, they are on Ebay all the time too.
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
DaineseUSA
Michael Pham
97 d90 SW #0273

Yeah I purchased a set of those a while back for my Porsche 951 and was a bit disappointed. They worked better, but nowhere near the quality of the Audis/Bmw projectors etc.
It seems that they still rely mostly on the parabola shape of the 7inch round lamp, and not much output actually comes from the projector

I have never understood why manufacturers haven't made these yet... even looking at the Mercedes G-Wagon.

M>
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Like I said, get a set of the Hella projector modules and retrofit them in. They make a 90mm version which is about 3.5" so you would have to make some sort of surround to fill in the space, but that should be pretty easy if you wanted to go that route.

Actually, here are some I found on a google search just now.

I'm not crazy about them myself and if you painted the "customizeable aluminum shield" black it wouldn't look any different really than buying the Hella modules and making your own black filler plate. Plus I have more faith in Hella and the modules can be purchased relatively inexpensively.
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

PIAA H4 HID Conversion

This conversion with either Hella or Bosch lamps is the best we've found.
http://www.piaalights.com/details.ph...nversion%20Kit

And if you want the latest HID auxilliary lamps.....
http://www.piaalights.com/details.ph...20SHOCK%20Lamp
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
The question becomes are high beams really necessary if you've got the lighting of a set of HIDs. That being the case why not fit a set of aftermarket lights into the openings, i.e. hellas or warns.

All the money spent getting a set of bulbs and balasts to match the H4 without melting housings is a serious problem so fitting a full aftermarket light may pose the fewest problems in the long run.

Just my $.02,
S-P
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsom_D2
The question becomes are high beams really necessary if you've got the lighting of a set of HIDs. That being the case why not fit a set of aftermarket lights into the openings, i.e. hellas or warns.

All the money spent getting a set of bulbs and balasts to match the H4 without melting housings is a serious problem so fitting a full aftermarket light may pose the fewest problems in the long run.

Just my $.02,
S-P
H4 Bi-Xenon give you high and low beams with one bulb. The housings are much cooler with HID than when using a stock H4 bulb. 35w with the output of 130w vs 55/60w from the stock H4.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Has anybody tinkered with a Truck-Lite LED headlight conversion on their Defender? These are the lights that the military (and garbage trucks and such) use. Just a generic 7" headlight that can pretty easily be tossed into anything.

I had a pair installed on my grey market G-Wagon before I sold it. I feel that these fit that vehicle better than a Defender however. Here are a few pics of a set on a G (not mine though):

Click image for larger version

Name:	180440_491731936005_5274275_n.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	60657

Name:	179318_491731851005_5399418_n.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	60658

Name:	165388_491731961005_8374846_n.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	60659

Name:	167630_491731991005_1322338_n.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	60660

Name:	165540_491732031005_210599_n.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	60661

Name:	180616_491732056005_4754566_n.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	60662

Name:	166467_491732151005_3621926_n.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	60663

Name:	179312_491732201005_3446448_n.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	60664

Name:	168940_491732356005_2546882_n.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	60665

Name:	168667_491732436005_8148997_n.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	60666

Overall, I think they give off great light and will never burn out. Plus they looked pretty good on that truck. I'm thinking they'll look pretty nice on a Defender as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, ht