Headlight HID Conversion - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Now, if you want to go ultimate then you could add the JW Speaker LED 4.5" fog light as well into the mix. The orange turn signal on my truck is 4" while the JW Speaker fog light is 4.5". Cut that hole a little bigger, relocate the turn signal wiring to the driving light and toss in a JW Speaker LED fog light and JW Speaker LED headlight for ultimate vision and one heck of a unique look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	60750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The 4.5" JW Speaker fog light also comes with a bucket and bracket (model 6050) so no need to unnecessarily mutilate the Defender body. Instead, get rid of the two Hellas blocking the grill, install 2-3 fog LED lights and you'll not only get brighter lights with lower draw, you'll also increase the airflow to the radiator.

Personally I'm considering replacing my Hella Black Magics with a 20" Rigid LED Bar in the same location. The 20" bar has a light output of 7200 Lumens. The JW fog lights do 750 a pop (RAW). The Rigid bar since it is so low profile should substantially regain airflow to the radiator I'm thinking.
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Not me man. No way would I cut up my truck. As for my Rallye 3000's, I'm afraid that they stay. Those suckers give off some nice light for me. Taking a leap to LED headlights is even maybe a little too bold of a step for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So why are you suggesting it then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
Not me man. No way would I cut up my truck.
Old November 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Suggestion. It's an idea, not a recommendation or demand.

Everybody is free to have their own opinion and taste.
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:55 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

I have the same setup with the JW 6050 fogs. Pic attached for those wanting to see what it looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3607339341.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	60769

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
The 4.5" JW Speaker fog light also comes with a bucket and bracket (model 6050) so no need to unnecessarily mutilate the Defender body. Instead, get rid of the two Hellas blocking the grill, install 2-3 fog LED lights and you'll not only get brighter lights with lower draw, you'll also increase the airflow to the radiator.

Personally I'm considering replacing my Hella Black Magics with a 20" Rigid LED Bar in the same location. The 20" bar has a light output of 7200 Lumens. The JW fog lights do 750 a pop (RAW). The Rigid bar since it is so low profile should substantially regain airflow to the radiator I'm thinking.
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Cool!

How do you like them? How are the JW headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtj
I have the same setup with the JW 6050 fogs. Pic attached for those wanting to see what it looks like.

Tim
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Yeah. Looks great. What are your thoughts on them and do you want to trade straight up for my stock headlights (worth a try)? And what kind of bulbs do you have in your parking lamps?
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

They work great. No problems at all. They through plenty of light and the fogs work great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Cool!

How do you like them? How are the JW headlights?
------ Follow up post added November 11th, 2012 06:36 PM ------

The parking lamps and turn signals have led bulbs. It makes for a nice combo with the LED headlights and fogs.

Quote:
Yeah. Looks great. What are your thoughts on them and do you want to trade straight up for my stock headlights (worth a try)? And what kind of bulbs do you have in your parking lamps?
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I know a lot of people don't care about the niceties of not blinding other drivers or not breaking the law, but for those who do, retrofitting HID bulbs in your housing isn't an option. The only way to fit HID's to a D90 (or RRC or Series Rover) without blinding others and breaking the law is to fit complete 7" HID headlamp assemblies.
At least in North America and all of the EU.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
All I can think about lately is upgrading my headlights. Think I'm going with the original TL LED set. They give off good light on the road and look pretty cool. Plus, the jeweled glass gives for a look that better suits my less modern looking truck.

The new TL LED lights don't seem to wow anybody really and from what this article says, aren't that much better in the illumination department.

Those JW Speakers are nice looking too though...

Going to pull the trigger on something soon.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I know a lot of people don't care about the niceties of not blinding other drivers or not breaking the law, but for those who do, retrofitting HID bulbs in your housing isn't an option. The only way to fit HID's to a D90 (or RRC or Series Rover) without blinding others and breaking the law is to fit complete 7" HID headlamp assemblies.
At least in North America and all of the EU.
Along these same lines I think it is important for folks to remember to aim their lights properly and I will admit that I made this mistake myself following my latest tire upgrade. It took me a week or so to realize why everyone kept flashing their headlights at me as though I had my high beams on!

One other note for people looking at doing a straight H4 bulb/HID kit swap in their stock lenses...remember that by nature the H4 bulb/connector is very susceptible to water ingress and is not even remotely sealed. If you do any kind of wheeling/water crossings this can be a bad combination
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Found these TL LED headlight sets on eBay. You get 2 headlights for $250 NIB. That's about a quarter of the price of JW Speakers and half of the regualr TL LED headlight price. According to my communications with the seller, these are military stock. I've inquired about several other things with these lights and will probably pick up a pair pending how the seller responds. Thought I'd share.

Think we'll need to pick these up too.

*One thing I inquired about was a D-90 discount for us...
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I have the truck lite LEDs and they are very bright and easy to aim so as to not bright lite everyone. I have the newest and at 480 a pair they are expensive. They do change the look a bit though
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Found these TL LED headlight sets on eBay.
Those are 24 volt...
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Found these TL LED headlight sets on eBay. You get 2 headlights for $250 NIB. That's about a quarter of the price of JW Speakers and half of the regualr TL LED headlight price. According to my communications with the seller, these are military stock. I've inquired about several other things with these lights and will probably pick up a pair pending how the seller responds. Thought I'd share.

Think we'll need to pick these up too.

*One thing I inquired about was a D-90 discount for us...
24V not 12V
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Bummer. Good call.
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
What about a voltage step up converter? Any thoughts? 24v LED headlights would give off much better light than 12v'ers...
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Called around today and apparently the 24v will work no problem. Just need a voltage step up converter at about $50. I'm ordering a pair of these for my truck and will report back once wired.

The seller on eBay says that he has 20 pairs that he would do a group buy deal on. I can help facilitate if anybody is interested. Let me get a price and some facts, then I'll post everything in the FOR SALE section.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

I'd be in for a group buy if there is a possibility in March 2013 since the post is 11/2012.

OTOH how about these HID conversions - http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-H3-H4-H7-...-/190810355017

I have no idea about any of this, but my lights are pretty dim. The fact that they are probably original to the truck certainly doesn't help, but I'd like something brighter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, ht