Headlight dip beam out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2015, 11:01 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Headlight dip beam out

Bit frustrated with this one, hoping someone has solved something similar. '85 90 2.5na, stock

Over the past few weeks, my LH low beam started to occasionally take a second to light, just like an HID :-). Made a note to dig into it at some point. Well, it quit over the weekend.

Main beam is fine, so my ground is good (that was an earlier problem, all major grounding points are clean and tight). I am getting 12+v at both sides of the low beam fuse, but about 10v at the low beam socket. I replaced the socket (which was functional, but needed to be replaced), and am now getting 10.3 or so and not enough current to light the bulb.

The connection behind the headlight seems fine, so my question is what, if anything is between the fuse panel and the connector behind the light that could cause the issue?

thanks.
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 11:07 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

take the path of least resistance first. Swap headlights using the right side. If the low beam works then you know the light was bad. If it dosnt then you can start elec troubleshooting.
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Wayne,
Instead of spending a bunch of time chasing down a problem in a problematic design you should consider a powered harness with relays. It will solve a bunch of future problems before they happen AND your lights will be MUCH brighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Extremely common problem.
You need to replace the fuse "box" clusters.
I buy a more compact version with the push type fuse that takes a female spade from the back.
It will solve this one and countless future issues.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:35 AM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
If it does end up being the switch (doubtful), I have a new one. Bought it a couple months ago from Rovers North, didn't need it, forgot to return it. I also have a harness with relay. Turns out I didn't need that either.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:51 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Thanks all. I had read about the fusebox problems, but was hoping it was not that. I am getting full voltage at the front of the fusebox, but there could be, well, probably is an issue with the connections on the back. I will pull the fusebox support to get a look behind it.

I thought of doing relay harnesses, I figured I'd wait until something like this gave me the motivation.

w
..tolerant Wife...
Old July 21st, 2015, 02:35 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The switch is actually the most common fault. The switch goes bad from running full power through it. Swapping to a relay harness will save the switch, and most headlight issues go away. -Jeff
Which is exactly what happened to me. I blame the mega wattage hella bulbs for overheating the switch within hours of usage. A relay solved that problem permanently.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 21st, 2015, 04:28 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
One more thing to check, but there were several different methods the factory used for their "dip-dim" UK goofyness over the years. Sometimes using extra relay modules or resistors.

-Jeff
yes, this is one of my concerns. My truck is French spec so it should be simple, but the home market dim/dip or whatever they call that addendum to the wiring diagram is intimidating
..tolerant Wife...
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:52 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
bad fuses!?!

...so the fuse had developed very high resistance. Visually, the fuse was fine and showed voltage passing through on the Fluke.

I had swapped the fuse w/ an identical one (British type fuse from the same baggie, from the same popular vendor) and still had no lights. Going through my work again, I swapped fuses with an old one from another slot and got lights.

Now it gets weird...2 of the 5 remaining new fuses in the bag had high resistance....how do you f**k up making a fuse? I am guessing that this fuse was defective from day one, and got worse over time. They all went in the bin.

Thanks all again for the responses.
..tolerant Wife...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht