Headlight and electrical issues. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Headlight and electrical issues.

I just put a TD5 body and loom onto a 200tdi frame, I got rid of the ECU but hooked everything else up, The problem I have is that the headlights are on all the time, when I turn the headlight switch on, only the marker lights on the right side of the truck come on . Everything else, heater, wipers, ignition seems to work fine.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Did these originally have daytime running lights?
Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Td5 headlight wiring doesn't go through the ECU at all, it's totally separate like older rovers, so sounds like there could be a fuse or 3 missing/blown if the headlights don't come on (each headlight has 2 fuses, dipped and main beam)

There's also a relay, ignition fed, that turns the headlights off when the ignition is off (sidelights stay on), and some models also have the dim/dip headlight, which is, if you have just "side" lights switched on, with the ignition on, then the main headlights also illuminate at 1/6th brightness; this was some law we had in the late 90's and 2000's which has now been receeded. This is operated by a pink coloured relay behind the dash binaccle, in conjunction with a hefty great wirewound (gold coloured usually) resistor under the RH front wing.

There is a bypass for the dimdip, which is a *special* part; externally looks like the large 7 pin relays, but inside is just a link between the blue/red wires on that relay socket behind the dash. just short the 2 main pins out to make the headlights operate normally... as in, they'll still go off if you turn the ignition off, but the dimdip stuff won't operate.

you got the Td5 wiring schematics? PM me your email and i'll fling the .pdf document over (4.5mb)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
It's not daylight running lights, I was thinking that to, because they go on as soon as the battery is connected
I think dieseljim has hit on what the problem is. They are very dim when I connect the battery, about 1/6. I guess j just need to figure out how to shut them off.
Thanks. p
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Did you maintain the security system ECU?
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
it is still hooked up at the moment
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:28 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Now I'm wondering if the Alarm ECU is my problem.
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Shouldn't be.... Td5 alarm only flashes the 4way lights when it's going off... not connected to the main lights at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, ht