Headlamp Switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Headlamp Switch

The 3 position (off/parking lights/parking + headlamps) headlamp switch broke on my '97 (my are hit it and broke it going down the interstate). So was looking to see how much they are and noticed there are two, one for '93-'95 and one for the '97s... I looked at a picture of them and they look exactly the same except they the newer one seems to have a newer plug on the end. And since there is $70 price difference I got to wondering if I could use the older one and just splice my old connector onto the wires.

So does anyone know if there is any difference (LR Part #'s) PRC3430 (cheaper '93-'95 switch) and AMR6104 ('97 more expensive switch) besides the plug on the end of the wires? And is there any reason why I couldn't just swap the plug for my old one?

Its not a big deal, it just seems like ~$130 for a switch seems like a but much. And if the older ~$60 one can work it would same me a little $ I could put towards other things...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its just the plug I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
My switch crapped out a couple years ago on a night drive 20 miles from the nearest payed road off in the Inyo mountains. All lights on the truck go out! I had my hellas on a separate switch so I was able to finish the drive. I replaced the switch with the $60 unit and just cut the '97 plug off and crimped on standard "bullet" connectors to work with the '95 $60 switch. I repaired the old one with epoxy and keep it as a spare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
My switch crapped out a couple years ago on a night drive 20 miles from the nearest payed road off in the Inyo mountains. All lights on the truck go out! I had my hellas on a separate switch so I was able to finish the drive. I replaced the switch with the $60 unit and just cut the '97 plug off and crimped on standard "bullet" connectors to work with the '95 $60 switch. I repaired the old one with epoxy and keep it as a spare.
X2, buy the 93-95 switch and cut, solder and heat shrink the 97 plug onto the new unit.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Sweet...

I'll get the older version and use the older connector.

Old February 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
open it up, clean the dry corroded grease out of there, scrub the contacts with a little 600 grit, apply some dielectric grease and safety wire it shut. Mine is as smooth as silk again for about an hour of my time.

~Steve
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

If you're going to be cutting up wires you might want to put a relay in the circuit. Then you won't have to worry about the switch burning out. --And you can put in higher wattage bulbs if you choose.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

X2 on last two posts. Personally, I would repair your existing switch AND put in the relay. Especially if you are using upgraded head lamps. Come to think of it, I did not put in a relay when I replaced my switch, so I think I will go out and preemptively put in a relay (or realistically add it to my "to do soon" list...)!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp, switch