Headlamp replacement, advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
Bryan Tate
Headlamp replacement, advice

Update, I searched more and found the old thread...........sorry, but couldn't figure out how to delete post

My H6024 headlamps are tired, on my previous 110 I put in the replacement bulbs and lenses (thanks to the deep water at MAR) I believe I went with the Piaa.

Anyway, has anyone tried the new Sylvania bulbs or even found a reasonable HID replacement?? (if that exists)
I hoped to get really, really bright high beams and go with one set of offroad lamps on the bumper vs getting 4 up top and 2or 3 in the grill.
What's the brightest out there? I don't recall the numbers (ie 10/40) but are there any that make a big jump to high beam (street legal or not)?

Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor
I have HID replacements available, but they're dang near $1200 for a pair but they are the nice hi AND low beam version. The Sylvanias haven't been lasting long on my RRC, so I went with some aftermarket cheapo H4 conversion housings and just run plain Philips H4's in them.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
There are massively powerful H4 bulbs available out there for the housings. But the higher the rating, the shorter the lifespan. They rate the 160watt bulbs at a lifespan of only 50 hours or so.

I had used the Hella H4 bulbs (not the vision-plus) back on my 67 Bronco, and this was a major upgrade over standard halogon sealed beams. You might want to try the Hella E-code lights with the 100w/55w bulbs and see how that works for you. You can get them from rallylights.com for $80 + shipping for the pair. Since they are good E-code lenses, they are much more effficient than the crappy sealed beams we are all used to.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
You can get some motorcycle lights that work--they are not DOT for trucks, but they are brighter and less expensive and quite frankly a great option. I can' t remember which ones, so I am hoping someone here can because I need to get them. I saw them at the Solihul Rally--I think whoever it was paid like $16 bucks for them. Anyone?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"
www.roundeyes.com have 7" replacement headlamps for Heeps and Defenders. 100$, GREAT product, 60% brighter AT LEAST
'92 Disco truggy (42"s, ZF, dual cases, ARBs, 30 splined, OMEs, Optimas, Warns, Bead-Locked)
'04 D-90 TD5 ST (33"s, tuned, caged, 1/2 top)
'84 Rangie 2 door classic (32"s, OME, ARB bar & M8000)
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, lamp