head light issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

head light issues

I have a small problem. since a couple day's my head lights work only some times! if i flick on the lights they work, or not. The next time i flick them on they don't! When they are on they stay on. But when they don;t work they will not work. Maybe a bad ground wire?
Anybody any thought's on the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Thanks Jeff,

I will look into it!
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I had my switch go out on me on the way home one night. Only the brights would work! I got flashed a lot on the way home. I have also put in a painless headlight harness with upgraded hella headlights. Easy job and they are heaps better than stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

lites

I am not that familiar with the Defender wiring but on my Series I had a loose connector by the radiator support panel. I'd hit a bump and the headlights would go out, hit the next bump and they would go back on. The wire was in the connecter just not making fulltime contact.
When your headlights are not working start at the headlights and start jiggling wires or use a test light probe and see where the power stops. If it's going to the switch from the fuse but not going out, it's a problem with the switch.
I've been succesfull with cleaning switches by cleaning with electric motor cleaner, comes in a spray can, CRC brand. Some switches can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned with a jewlers file or fine sand paper.

gene
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

ok i am bit closer now. The head lights are working. BUT. the right side tail light and the right side small light above the head light will not work. I checked fuses, lamps etc it is all good! but they don't work. I also lost my dash lights ( light from the guages). Any thoughts????
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Nope i did not replaced the switch. I will take a view days for it to be here. But now i lost my dash lights i thought it might be a fuse!. But if all these problems are related to a bad switch i am happy because it will be a easy fix
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeena river rover View Post
Nope i did not replaced the switch. I will take a view days for it to be here. But now i lost my dash lights i thought it might be a fuse!. But if all these problems are related to a bad switch i am happy because it will be a easy fix
check the ground, and hit the connector with some cleaner while you wait for a new switch.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:54 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
check the ground, and hit the connector with some cleaner while you wait for a new switch.
x3 (4?) its likely the switch. Order one of these while you're at it to prevent it from happening again -> http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1247 via http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...dlight+harness
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

thanks guys.

ps where can i find the ground wire? bulkhead?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions