Head Lamp issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Carl Larson
Head Lamp issues

I was driving home from work when I noticed that my headlight indicator light is out... Then I realised that my headlights were also out, not a big deal as it was early afternoon.
The Situation:
My parking lights still work... along with my taillights but,
when i put the lever to the on position all indicators go out, and the headlights don't turn on. I checked ALL the fuses and was wondering if this is a normal Lucas demon... or just another quirk of my defender. Oh it is a 1994.
Any help would be great
Carl Larson

Old September 28th, 2004, 03:25 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
Ah yes. This happend to me in the dead of night out in BFE. Anyway, your headlight switch is probably to blame. Its pretty common on D90s. Over time heat warps the plastic mount that houses the contact from the headlamp. As a result the contact recesses into the plastic mount, which leaves the circuit open.

I'd recommend just replacing the switch. Give George at Rovers Down South a call and order one.

PS Oh I forgot to mention. While you wait for the new switch just cut the three wires, closest to the switch, off and close the circuit by crimping/soldering the three together. This tempory fix will allow you to merely unplug the quick disconnect when you need to turn you lights off or visa-versa.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions