head gasket job - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

head gasket job

So I was getting some crazy pressure in my coolant not too long ago. The truck would sit for 3 days and I would take off the cap to the overflow tank and it would have loads of pressure.

I would see coolant lost when I would take off the radiator plug, but still see coolant in the expansion tank.

So Andy, Eric, Jarek and I did swapped out head gaskets Saturday. I also pick up some cheap refurbished heads, Ford injectors (since I was in there), and put in those ceramic manifolds. It looks so pretty and new!

So I drive it home and notice 2 things:

A: new injectors are nice and smooth but I think they are killing my MPGs even more.

B: I thought the temp would run a lot cooler seeing as no more exhaust gasses were leaking into the coolant, But the temp was right around 195-197 and that is with a new 4 core radiator. Should the temp be lower or does this seem right? I also notice now after I ran it for a good hour that I would get out of the truck after shutting it down and check the hoses and pressure. There was no pressure at all from the expansion tank and the top radiator hose was soft, but still hot, so it was cycling, but I would thing it would be a bit stiffer.

Next: replace crappy black expansion tank with DI clear tank, because I suspect that might be giving me some trouble too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	23176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	23177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	23178  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It should have some pressure. Maybe the disco I tank cap is shot or you have some other leak in the system. I have a deep suspecion of those disco tanks and caps.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
It should have some pressure. Maybe the disco I tank cap is shot or you have some other leak in the system. I have a deep suspecion of those disco tanks and caps.
no, I have the defender black expansion tank. I heard those were crap and to replace them with the disco tanks.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You should have a metal tank. Not plastic. 1997s had the "disco" plastic tank.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

sweet garage.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
You should have a metal tank. Not plastic. 1997s had the "disco" plastic tank.
My 97 has the metal tank. Disco black tanks are crap, they split (i've had 2 go). Disco clear tanks are much better. What is wrong with the Defender metal tank?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What thermostat are you running, i think stock for some crazy reason is 195. Did you reuse the head bolts? Why use "cheap refurbished heads"?

I am running those ford injectors also in my Classic with a bigger cam, I am getting 10-12 to the gallon and I think the oil smells like fuel. I expected the fuel mileage to decrease with the cam but before I was getting 15-16 to the gallon.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Friend, a hot radiator should have about 14-16 psi. If you open the expansion tank while hot you may find yourself swimming in glycol. I should think that there would be some pressure, but not zero pressure.
190 is not too hot. The engine needs to be somewhere lower than the boiling point of water because, clearly, boiling water cannot absorb more heat. That's why your coolant system is under pressure, as the pressure raises the boiling point above 212 degrees F, allowing for more heat to dissipate into the coolant. It also needs to be above 160-ish so as to reduce the buildup of sludge and varnish from the oil mist present in the crankcase.
You don't say whether you installed a new thermostat, but if you did not, I would recommend it. If the coolant is circulating without the "choke" of the thermostat it might give you readings that are not within normal expectations.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Well i went out last night around 12am because i was bored. I checked it out and some of the hose clamps were a bit loose, because i think I just missed them. So I tightened them down good. Replaced the factory black metal Defender tank with the clear Disco tank (the good one) and filled that up. I had some suspicion that the black defender tank wasn't holding pressure well or maybe the cap was messed up. So i switched it out.

Phillip, thermostat is relatively new, I think it was the 180 one. once the temp hits 200 on the gauge I see the floor gates open and it drops down to 180 fast, then as is cycles it around the 197 range.

I used new bolts obviously and i picked up the refurb heads because they were cheap and had a valve job and were cleaned up and skimmed and flat. I would rather do that then have the down time inspecting my heads to find out they are warped or something. plus the sludge build up was hilarious. I had to dig in there to find the head bolts to undo them! I have seen a bunch of other heads and they looked very clean to mine. Mine looked like someone just poured a bunch of mud in them.

I need to take it for a spin tonight to see how it goes.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Did you use composite gaskets with the new heads?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Those metal screw clams always seem to leak on me, so I doubt you missed them. Every time I have to replace a hose, I plan on using a double-ear clamp that gets crimped on instead of those screw clamps.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
? Must be a V8 thing. Though my RRC did not have that problem. It isn't uncommon to have to re-tighten a few after the initial clamp on a new hose. Having to deal with crimped stuff would be annoying in a road or trail side situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Those metal screw clams always seem to leak on me, so I doubt you missed them. Every time I have to replace a hose, I plan on using a double-ear clamp that gets crimped on instead of those screw clamps.

-Hans
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"Having to deal with crimped stuff would be annoying in a road or trail side situation."

I hate those F'in things. My lotus has them and I wanted to shoot them.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Did you use composite gaskets with the new heads?
yup, Erling composite with new bolts. I think I need to take it for a spin again to see how it goes. with the new clear tank I can at least see if im loosing coolant easier.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Dan

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the rad for blocked areas using an IR thermometer. Also make sure the system is bled correctly. If all is well the gauge should be where it was before you started having problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
yup, Erling composite with new bolts. I think I need to take it for a spin again to see how it goes. with the new clear tank I can at least see if im loosing coolant easier.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
interesting, that you are running the 180 thermostat and running that hot, my truck can get to 200, I attribute it primarily to the fan clutch and I am pretty sure it needs headgaskets. I am running the same in my classic with a new three core rad and top end and it wont budge past 180, of course it isnt summer time so the verdict is still out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Dan

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the rad for blocked areas using an IR thermometer. Also make sure the system is bled correctly. If all is well the gauge should be where it was before you started having problems.
I think he has a new radiator.

I am interested to hear more from the guys running the ford injectors. I am considering going back with stock.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
"Having to deal with crimped stuff would be annoying in a road or trail side situation."

I hate those F'in things. My lotus has them and I wanted to shoot them.
Oh, I agree totally. Serious pain to work with them. But I've almost never had one leak, and it's almost invariably my own fault when they do. I keep the screw clamps as spares for quick repairs, but I'm done using them for permanent fixes.

-Hans

Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dan, if you had that much sludge, I would drop the oil pan one day as well and clean that out as well..
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Oh, I agree totally. Serious pain to work with them. But I've almost never had one leak, and it's almost invariably my own fault when they do. I keep the screw clamps as spares for quick repairs, but I'm done using them for permanent fixes.

-Hans
I want to replace every one I see with screw types so I guess we are opposites on this one.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
I want to replace every one I see with screw types so I guess we are opposites on this one.
Well, it's not like I've ever been accused of being sane and normal. I acknowledge the fact I'm the oddball here.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas