head gasket blocking dip stick. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

head gasket blocking dip stick.

Installed my new head gaskets. After bolting the heads, rockers and manifolds on I noticed that the gasket is partially blocking the sleeve for the dip stick. The gasket did not have the word "top" anywhere on it but I asked two people who said to install them with the side with metal on it towards the block. If they are upside down is it ok to leave them and just cut away the gasket covering the dipstick?
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2007, 09:45 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Well, it is a little to late to take them off hahahahaha. I would probably get another set before I chanced it with them on the wrong way. Could be blocking oil or coolant passages, take that back it is blocking oil and coolant passages...
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Yeah that;s what's messed up.. everything lined up perfectly. Back to dissasembling..
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Do you think I could take them off and flip them around and reuse them or do I need to get new ones? I have not started the engine since installing them?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Before you do I had the same issue and noticed it before I tightened everything down. Flipped them everywhichway and confirmed placement, still blocked dipstick, so I just cut out what wasn't needed and finished. No problems since. I'm not sure but I think some of the Buick gaskets are just slightly different. Obviously if you are concerned and doub your work then remove and refit, but your new head bolts are now stretched and v expensive. Don't take my word for it, just my experience.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So every way you turned it the stick was still blocked? In a way that's good to hear. Do you remember which side you put down.. side with the metal on it?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Dont recall, I could look but the truck is not here. Definately fipped them, definately had to go the way it was blocked, definately cut them, definately not having issues. Good Luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas