Head Gasket Basics - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
functions fine as in under powered due to the wiped cam lobes, low oil pressure due to the worn oil pump parts, wacky retarded timing due to the stretched timing chain, and misfires due to the leaking rings and valves?

Does he have any of these symptoms or just leaking headgaskets? A headgasket job is something a novice can do in a weekend.

As for worn oil pump parts, last time I checked GEMS front covers are on backorder. You can get the gears, but the front cover will likely be badly scored as most are.

If you are doing a rebuild, may as well make it a 4.6
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
She. I have no idea what precipitated the HG job. But, based on the condition of the rocker shaft and pushrods I would be willing to bet a dozen donuts that the cam is worn.

I have to say that I agree on the 4.6. I spent a bunch of time and energy doing up the 3.5 EFI motor. I had my own reasons for sticking with the 3.5 but having done all that, yeah, engine out and drop a nice freshened-up 4.6 in.

Also didn't occur to me that it might be a GEMS setup. I plead ignorance on those as I haven't been inside of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Does he have any of these symptoms or just leaking headgaskets? A headgasket job is something a novice can do in a weekend.

As for worn oil pump parts, last time I checked GEMS front covers are on backorder. You can get the gears, but the front cover will likely be badly scored as most are.

If you are doing a rebuild, may as well make it a 4.6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old May 6th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
She. I have no idea what precipitated the HG job. But, based on the condition of the rocker shaft and pushrods I would be willing to bet a dozen donuts that the cam is worn.

I have to say that I agree on the 4.6. I spent a bunch of time and energy doing up the 3.5 EFI motor. I had my own reasons for sticking with the 3.5 but having done all that, yeah, engine out and drop a nice freshened-up 4.6 in.

Also didn't occur to me that it might be a GEMS setup. I plead ignorance on those as I haven't been inside of one.

The rocker shafts aren't in Clay's motor. I've seen much worse than the ones Carmen posted.
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Clay's Tdi does not have any of those symptoms. That cam shit really only applies to V8s and Brandon.

On Clay's we checked the head for flatness and it looked good to me, just a little off at one corner but still within spec.

After running the engine we noticed it was weeping oil from the front right corner of the head. There is an oil port there and the Genuine MLS head gasket has a hole which is slightly misaligned. I believe that this in conjunction with the .0015 warp in the corner of the head allowed the hot oil to seep through the layers of the gasket.

We ended up getting the head skimmed and redid it using an elring brand composite gasket. No more issues.

Based on that experience I will leave the MLS stuff for factory finish items or when a composite gasket is entirely ruled out for some other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
The rocker shafts aren't in Clay's motor. I've seen much worse than the ones Carmen posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	148921  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old May 6th, 2016, 02:50 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'm a total hack when it comes to working on these cars. Total idiot. But I've managed to get by some how.

For those who are facing this job, I've done it.

Years ago I found a black LWB Sable edition with fewer than 70k miles on it. It looked like it was maybe three or four years old. Perfect.

But it was drinking coolant like a kid with his first Coke on a hot day. Lots of pressure in the coolant system, and even getting hot when driving in certain situations.

So I tackled the job by myself in my garage. It is a lot of work, but it was an education, and really not that difficult as long as I took lots of pics, made a running list of every step I took, and kept everything in order when set aside.

I resurfaced the heads and put it all back together. It was wonderful. It ran sooooo nice and smooth and had so much power! ...but it still lost fluid... Slipped liner.

So, do it yourself if you have the time. It saved a lot of money. And really was not as bad as one might think. Just a lot of work.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I put in an RP4 cam when I did my top end. Pretty happy with it. Think it was 200 something bucks RPI engineering. I would also mention that you should check the tappets to make sure they aren't dished or worn. While i'm no expert at all, I think you're supposed to change the tappets all together if you're changing the cam.

That poor engine.. amazing to me how many people think an oil change is just an automotive rumor and not scheduled maintenance.
Been looking at the RPI ones too...tappets look new but it's also my understanding they should be replaced with the cam. From the condition of some of the gaskets, I think it's been worked on before.

Quote:
functions fine as in under powered due to the wiped cam lobes, low oil pressure due to the worn oil pump parts, wacky retarded timing due to the stretched timing chain, and misfires due to the leaking rings and valves?

Not to mention what happens when one piece of that sludge breaks loose and plugs an oilway.

Yes it is a big project to pull the engine but when it looks like that on the inside, it is really the only way worth doing.

Did that job once with the engine in the car and will never do it that way again. Or so I say, now, sitting here at my keyboard...
Oil pump looked fine but since I have it out already. Timing chain wasn't horribly slack but since I'm replacing the cam may as well do that too. No misfiring.
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Carmen, did you pull the parts out of the oil pump pressure relief valve? My gears were fine but the valve parts were showing wear.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:52 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
I just sent him your cell #, he should be calling you shortly!

That dude did call me about 10 years ago when I was doing Seafoam stuff on my Disco2. LOL I didn't think he would.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Carmen, did you pull the parts out of the oil pump pressure relief valve? My gears were fine but the valve parts were showing wear.
Not yet. I'll be sure to check it...thanks
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions