Originally Posted by JSBriggs
yes rocker box gasket/valve cover gasket, same thing...-Jeff
To add to Jeff's advice, when replacing the valve cover gasket.
1. Purchase a new gasket
2. Get yourself some black or gray permatex type sealer.
3. Remove the valve cover (as Jeff said adjust valve clearance on the rockers).
4. Clean the cover and scrape off the old gasket (I use thinner).
5. Put a generous smear on the valve cover gasket side that mates with the valve cover
6. Position the valve cover gasket in place
7. Place the valve cover gasket side down on a flat surface like a table or piece of plywood.
8. Put a brick or 2 on top of the valve cover
9. Let the silicone harden
10 smear a coating of grease on the engine side of the gasket
11 Install the valve cover
The gasket should stay stuck to the valve cover, but allow the cover and gasket to be removed as one unit.
Hope this helps.